Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got tired of returning my Simms waders for "repair" so I went on the lookout for some cheap replacements. I found a pair of Hodgman Wadelite waders for 40 bucks and I bought them. Anybody ever used these. Are they decent? I figure for 40 bucks I couldn't go wrong.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I don't have any experience whit the Hodgeman, but I am in need of new waders.

What Simms do you have and what keeps failing on them?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Dude I rocked hoggys for years, about two pair per summer.
IMO patties are the only way to go. Best warranty in the bossiness, most of the time I will have a new pair within a week.
Streams
In
My
Seams
That their acronym
Hodgeman is an absult waste of cash IMO

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
720fly said:
IMO patties are the only way to go. Best warranty in the bossiness, most of the time I will have a new pair within a week.
Streams
In
My
Seams
That their acronym
Simms has 2 m's in it.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
i've only ever used hodgman. the guidelite. i've owned 3 pairs of chest and 4 pairs of pant. NEVER had a problem.
i gave the original chest waders away to a friend - still in solid use. sold a pair of the pant waders. have an active pair of both and they are 3+ years old and going strong. the others are in my closet as spares.

chests cost me $120 and pants cost $50 - no reason to over pay.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fly_guy said:
I don't have any experience whit the Hodgeman, but I am in need of new waders.

What Simms do you have and what keeps failing on them?
I have the Blackfoot. The tape started peeling after just a few times out. I sent them to Simms and they re glued them, but that was a band aid. They started peeling and leaking a few times out later so back they went and they sent them back with the same repair. Didn't even replace the tape. Needless to say my feet get wet now every time out. The blackfoot are bottom of the line, but c'mon!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
720fly said:
Streams
In
My
Seams
That their acronym
Excuse my ignorance, but what are patties?

·
Registered
384 Posts
720fly said:
Streams
In
My
Seams
That their acronym
I have no idea what that means.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Poudre Hound said:
720fly said:
Streams
In
My
Seams
That their acronym
Excuse my ignorance, but what are patties?
I believe he means patagonia. My translation may be off though. :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had Patagonia's two years ago and they leaked in no time at all, but that was the old design.

Poudre Hound, from what I understand Simms basically has two lines of waders. Ones made in the US and ones made overseas. Seems like the ones that are made in Bozeman are the ones that are bombproof. I had a pair of Freestones and they had holes, big holes, in the inner leg after two outings. Took them back for a refund.

I had a pair of Dan Bailey's Guide wader from 2003 to 2008 and they were awesome. I not only wore them fishing, I wore then on a ton of early season duck hunts too and they held up great. I'm not sure if their new design is as good as the style I had, but I'm going to check into it.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Couldn't get away with the other "M" so I left it out, but ( mother fffffcn)
Patty's are patogonia
Sweet finally winter some fun

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've been using LL Beans' for years now. First pair of breathables cost $60 and went three seasons (100+ days a year) before they began to wet out. Had I maintained them they might have done better, but I sent 'em back to Bean and they sent me new ones, which I'm still using.
I see that line has apparently been discontinued. I recently received a pair of the $119 "Emerger" stockingfoots, partly because of user testimonials on the Bean site (I paid $90 with a Bean email coupon) - no leaks on a test run out of the box, but as the 2nd pair of $60 ones are still going strong I'm keeping the new ones in reserve.
Bean waders have in my experience outperformed Orvis, Dan Bailey's, and Cloudveils - at a fraction the price - and the customer service is second to none.
Just my 2 cents ;)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yes, PH, bad idea - I bought a pair of used Cabela's and wasn't expecting too much of them, as they leaked in the ankle. I looked at the inside of them and both sides had mildew on them just where they were leaking.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wonder if that helped contribute to the seams peeling. I think neoprene would be safe. That's what I wear in the winter time although they are a bit snug this days and I look like a stuffed Italian sausage in them.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Hmmmm.... I have had the following:

Orvis - boot foot - they are now my backup waders. Decent (silver label) but the boots are too buoyant for my liking.

Dan Bailey's - loved them, but the mediums were a little too short in the legs - knees hurt on the float tube.

Simms - Ladies Freestones (fabulous) - they're the lightest I've owned - can wear in 95+ degree weather comfortably.

Simms - Ladies 2007 G3's - love them as well. Had an issue with first pair - pinhole in leg - but have been repaired by Simms.

My only thing I don't love about Simms is that there's no top drawstring - the G3's especially, as they're fitted for a girly shape.

Hubby has Wright & McGill Reliance waders - best warranty by far - failed zipper, leaky leg in 2 different sets. Took them to the Country Store and they replaced them with brand new ones on the spot. No haggle whatsoever.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts