Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On avaerage how many times do you repairs holes ion your waders from the months of March through May?

I am pushing nine holes in the three month span. I think I will just start wearing trash bags for waders. They are atleast cheep and I would not have any problem buying a new pair. ;D

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I have yet to put a hole in my neoprene waders and I'm pretty rough on them and a little clumsy. They also get thrown in the back of the jeep ontop or under all kinds of tackle I guess I'm just lucky.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
as long as I tie my boots tight and make sure my gravel guards are in place, I never have to patch a hole unless I trip or snag the side of my waders on a rock, barbed wire or other sharp things.

Dan

T

·
0 Posts
in three years, no holes in my waders - then fishing in colorado this past year a few. mainly around the gravel guard area.
bought a new pair a few weeks ago, simms gortex classic guide stockingfoot....used them 3 times, so we'll see.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
it seems like my waders always leak...im pretty hard on my gear and usually take the hard path down the river---through the brush. i also spent alot of time moving around on my knees and climbing over logs and such in order to try to get closer to fish. ahhh, ive grown used to being damp, but for the most part i havnt had any real big leaks as of yet. in all, ive only had to repair neoprene waders from tears...my goretex are pretty tough, but they better since you pay so much money for them.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
It seems I get about 30 days out of waders before I have to get some AquaSeal on them (that's WAY better than Simms Seal). Once the sealant goes on I may get another 20-30 days out of the waders but their days are numbered. With that said I buy waders about every year and a half - breathables, of course.

T

·
0 Posts
orvis waders are all priced the same no matter where you buy them (fly shop/catalog/orvis store, etc.) breathables priced from $150 - $290

simms waders are all priced the same no matter where you buy them (fly shop) breathables priced from $200 - $400

hodgman waders are all priced the same no matter where you buy them (retail store/catalog) breathables priced from $100 - $200

cabelas do go on sale at times (store/catalog) breathables priced from $99 - $300

depending upon your needs and budget there is a ton of choices. i have a pair of hodgman guidelite and a pair of simms gortex classic guide - both stockingfoot. i was eyeing up a pair cabelas offers new for $149.99 (brown colored).

good luck

·
Registered
60 Posts
The Simms Guide GoreTex waders are by far the best I've ever had. I got them for 33% off at the end of the '99 season -- which is possible from some shop or another every fall. Looks like they'll wind up costing about $.25 - $.50/ fishing day by the time I wear 'em out. Well worth it I'd say.

·
Registered
296 Posts
i have had my waders for 3 years and i am in them at least 125 times a year no leaks no tears knock on wood they are the hodgeman lites breathables 100 bucks i am getting ready to buy a new set and donate these ones to my son

·
Registered
594 Posts
I just got a pait of Wright anD McGill waders...love them. A bit on the expensive side ($200-225), but tons of features, durable, and local!
left_turn56

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Ebay - Can find 200$ + waders for 50$ sometimes the hard part is finding your size.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
"Well, since I am in the market, where are the best prices for good quality?"

i like Simms products, but they are pricey to say the least. i messed around testing breathable waders while i worked at a local flyshop, just to see what was good/bad or in between. my final outcome, after messing around with orvis, simms, patagonia, redington, and cabelas models was that your "best bang for your buck" was the cabelas breathables...they have several different models, and the prices vary, but for under 180.00 you can get yourself something that will work very well. look for articulated knees, taped and stitched seams, double (or triple) re enforced knees and also a foot shaped booty, not just one cut from a boot pattern...this will be more comfortable in the long run, trust me. if i had to get rid of all my Simms waders i would be ordering something from cablelas--they were that good. Simms does offer a 200.00 'lightweight" version, which is pretty good too, if you care to look. the G3s go for 425.00....a lot of money, but it depends on how much time you spend in them. me, i pretty much live in them...

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Also take a look at the Cabelas wading boots....better than Simms by far....yeah i sounds like a Cabelas junkie, ill stop now.....

·
Registered
380 Posts
I became very good friends with a fly shop owner about 4 years ago. He told me that many, many of the waders on the market are manufactured by the same company and then various labels are put on them by retailers.

As an example, he ordered 3 dozen pairs of waders for his store. He had ordered Sterns waders. When they arrived it was Orvis waders. He immediately called the customer service number on the packing slip to inform them the order was wrong. The manufacturor explained to him that they make waders for Sterns, Orvis and several others and that some one in the warehouse made a slight mistake. With the exception of a slightly different pocket and the label, the waders were identical. The catch is the price on the Sterns was like 30%-40% less!

So my point is, buy really thick durable waders. I have used Sterns ever since I learned of this and they have been very reliable and durable and I am hard on waders.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have a pair of orvis waders and simms boots but have found myself using my LL Bean neoprene hippers all the time. I know these limit how deep I can go, but they are easy to walk in, warm, dry and $75 from LL Bean. I guess as I get more into the Colo. fishing I may need the waders, but for now, I'm catching quite a few fish with a lot less hassle with the hippers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts