Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So me and my brother headed out today.

Now here is where I stopped myself from writing this, because, well, maybe I shouldn't lol I should just say, Got skunked didn't take pictures, Fishing the dry drainage area on the street before the gutter.

But..... I'm just so giddy, I don't care. I don't expect this to ever happen again.

So, Me and my brother headed out today to Barr Lake. We got there about 12:30, pulled up to the self pay area, and realized, damm it! the smallest bill I had was a $10. Well screw that! I don't wanna pay the man any more than I have to lol.

So we turned around, and drove into Brighton to get change. Stopped at Wendy's. I had a crispy chicken sandwich, and my brother had a medium fanta orange soda. It was fresh and yummy. The first bite made me gasp as it was obviously right out of the fryer. Not to much mayo, and it was the leaf lettuce, not that horrible shredded lettuce you always wear.

Went back to the lake and paid. Drove down to the parking lot right before the boat launch. Got everything together and started walking. Got halfway over the bridge and my brother says to me, "Wow Fish," (cause thats really my nickname) "I think thats the most action I've ever seen on top of the water." I quickly agreed. Walked all the way down to the boat launch and posted up just off to the side. I already had a pole set up from last time to throw a chicken liver on, got that in the water. Quickly rigged up a small green painted jig head on my 6ft ugly stick. Tossed a 1 inch, tiny little half a fish looking jig on the hook and tossed it in the water. Reeled in at a medium pace, and whammo I caught my very first rainbow.

It was about 12 inches long. I was super stoked. I got it off the hook, and yelled at my brother, "Get the camera!!" He let out the deepest sigh of frustration, "God damm it Fish, I wanna catch fish too!", he yelled. There we're so many fish just schooled up together. The water was clear clear clear. You could see whatever we were throwing more than 10 feet out from the shore.

From then on, it was go time. There was no time for pictures, there was no time to light a smoke, there wasn't time for anything. We had caught that first one at about 1:15pm. It took us until 1:35pm and we already had our limit. It took about that same amount of time to pull my baited rod out of the water cause it was just in my way, and there wasn't any time for it. We stopped counting after 25, which had only taken us til 2:30pm

It was non stop until about 5:00pm And they we're eating ANYTHING! They were tearing up our tiny rubber jigs, I think we used them all, and we had quite a few. There was a time my brother caught 3 fish in a row, using just a small red jig head, without putting any type of jig on it.

I saw something bigger out there swimming on top of the water. I don't know what it was, but it was bigger than the trout. So I put on a 4 inch skinny crank bait with a small lip on it. Dumb trout were attacking that thing too. After that fun we tossed some small spoons onto our poles. And that had to have been my favorite. There was no biting and spitting it out, if they wanted a taste, they we're gonna come say hi to me :D

Then the clouds started rolling in, wind started picking up. And the fishing was started slowing down. We only caught another 8 between 5pm and 6pm. It was during that time we got our answer. A parks person came over to check out licenses. And told us what was up....... They had stocked the lake with 5,000 rainbows not to long before we got there.

At a very minimum, we caught over 50 fish. But we don't question the thought of saying it was closer to 75+. And thats not counting the handful that got off the hooks. All of the fish were 8" to 12" long, and they we're just pretty.

We packed it up and left a little after 6pm. Talked to 4-5 different small fishing groups along the way and in the parking lot. And none of them said anything about having a good day fishing like we did. Saying they had only caught 1 or 2. 2 guys had told us they had been skunked. Blows my mind.

But without a doubt, that was the best day of fishing me or my brother ever had.

·
Registered
45 Posts
that it was brother.... that it was ^-^

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
If you fish enough, those kind of days come around now and again. Remember to stop, take a deep breath, take it all in and appreciate it, cause we all know those days dont come very often. Sounds like a good time!

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Slimer killer...mmmm fish tacos eh? I really would like to take you n your bro up to one of my fav bank spots at Granby. It's been more than a couple of years since if harvested it but I'm talkin 70+ days on decent bobo's. When I'm in my boat or someone else's up there I never see anyone in my spot. Pretty soon you'll tire of slimers too...bad but true. Ask Zman.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts