Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to thinking (which doesn't always end well for me!)...Does anyone else homebrew? Thought it would be cool to get a day on the ice with some fellow fisherman and trade some homebrews at the same time. Could be a neat little hybrid club

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cider works. I rarely bottle any more, now that I have the 2 tap kegorator. But I have successfully filled 12 oz bottles off the tap. Need that growler filling attachment thingy I have seen going around.

Got an interesting dry hopped brown ale that is just coming on line, perfect for the ice.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
You don't need anything fancy to bottle from the keg. Just unhook the CO2 and release the pressure from the keg. Then set the CO2 for like 2-4 psi and hook backup and pour very slowly. You waste a little beer from foam but if you're doing a six pack it ain't no thang!

BTW if anyone is interested in buying some equipment I'm going to be selling some excess gear.

I have two March pumps, a Blichmann therminator, two corny kegs (ball lock) and possibly some other stuff.

PM if interested.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
A counter pressure bottling system is nice if you want to do it right. ;) Not real complicated. Think of a rubber stopper with the bottling cane going through it. You bleed in CO2 gas at 10 PSI to bring the bottle up to pressure and the stopper holds pressure temporarily at the top of the bottle while your bottling cane lets beer come in from your keg and fill the bottle up from the bottom, under pressure so it doesn't lose any fizz. Remove the device and cap as usual. You can get some spray when you remove the device and cane -- helps to have an easy to clean linoleum floor. 8) No more exploding bottles or under carbonated beer! I got mine at Fox supply.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
You can find Blichmann's bottle filler used for ~$50.

If I want some bottle I'll just fill a six pack when transferring to the keg and throw some raisins in each bottle to get them carbed up.

Raisins work if you don't have carbs drops.

But you can just run a tube from your tap to the bottle and cap if you plan on drinking within a day or two.

Counter pressure filler is nice but not necessary unless you want to bottle from the tap frequently.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah honestly its about the same price. My last batch (5 gallons) cost me about 30 to make. I ran a quick calculation on a 30 rack of keystone and the cost is almost the same. Difference is you are drinking a delicious barley pop vs watered down grain tea. Don't get me wrong I still crush PBR and Busch light out on the ice. Cans are just convenient and are satisfying to crush and throw in the sled when empty!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts