Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to get my new(old) boat trailer registered today as a "homemade" trailer. They issued me the I.D. number and gave me a temp. tag good for a month, but I need to take it to a certified C.S.P. inspector before I can get my plates. There are apparently offices in Broomfield and Golden. Hours vary and are limited and you are supposed to get an appointment.

Just a P.S.A. for ya'll! ;D

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Check with your local county sherriff in weld county they do VV's also if you are going to fix it up don't tell them what you think it will be worth afterwards. Had to plate a horsa trailer out of Wi beat to H3ll said it would be worth about 2grand when done plates were like 300 bucks. Could have said worth 100 bucks and paid diddly.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
coloradojaguar said:
Check with your local county sherriff in weld county they do VV's also if you are going to fix it up don't tell them what you think it will be worth afterwards. Had to plate a horsa trailer out of Wi beat to H3ll said it would be worth about 2grand when done plates were like 300 bucks. Could have said worth 100 bucks and paid diddly.
Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
walleye seeker said:
make sure your ID numbers are stamped into the metal where they are visable. it wont hurt to stamp them in 2 places
They gave me a metal tag to attach to the trailer. Do you think I should stamp it as well?

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
I've licensed two trailers as home made. Never had to have either of them inspected. Wonder when they changed the procedure?

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
hummus cannonball said:
walleye seeker said:
make sure your ID numbers are stamped into the metal where they are visable. it wont hurt to stamp them in 2 places
They gave me a metal tag to attach to the trailer. Do you think I should stamp it as well?
they used to issue the numbers on a paper form and you had to stamp them in. if you do stamp the numbers in , hide them incase of theft they will destroy the metal plate but not find the stamped numbers. just another way to ID your trailor for a police report

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Also the DMV's computers are down so they'll have to mail you your registration at a later date. They should issue some sort of paperwork on it though that is typed up for temporary use.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
walleye seeker said:
hummus cannonball said:
walleye seeker said:
they used to issue the numbers on a paper form and you had to stamp them in. if you do stamp the numbers in , hide them incase of theft they will destroy the metal plate but not find the stamped numbers. just another way to ID your trailor for a police report
Good call! Thx!

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Manboobs said:
Also the DMV's computers are down so they'll have to mail you your registration at a later date. They should issue some sort of paperwork on it though that is typed up for temporary use.

Registrations are printing. Titles are delayed.

·
Banned
2,918 Posts
Bionic Man said:
I've licensed two trailers as home made. Never had to have either of them inspected. Wonder when they changed the procedure?
x2 - one was a boat trailer and the other a utility trailer purchased from Harbor Freight.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sounds to me like they are trying to stop people from registering an existing trailer as a homebuilt, instead of paying late fees or re-title fees. Just a thought.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
fish44 said:
Sounds to me like they are trying to stop people from registering an existing trailer as a homebuilt, instead of paying late fees or re-title fees. Just a thought.
Also to prevent theft my guess...

Soooo easy to steal a trailer and just say it was home made.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
fish44 said:
I think you just hit the nail on the head. Late fees are $25/month, and that adds up. Happens (for example) when you buy a boat with a trailer in the fall and don't get around to registering it until spring. Ask me how I know. ::)

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
albow said:
fish44 said:
I think you just hit the nail on the head. Late fees are $25/month, and that adds up. Happens (for example) when you buy a boat with a trailer in the fall and don't get around to registering it until spring. Ask me how I know. ::)
Makes sense......and here I thought they might just be concerned for public safety! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts