Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
You make Slayer look like he doesnt fish...

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Now that's an MRT! :thumb:

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Anybody can catch big fish in the AK bathtub--- And trolling-
Old and bitter and drinking keystone for breakfast is no way to go through life son!

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
1st time I went to BC to catch salmon I landed a 38lb and 42 lb King salmon on 12 lb test. Rented a 15' boat, no guide never done it b4. Its pretty easy up there. Just sayin!

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Wow international hotspotter!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I did a remote in AK courtesy of Uncle Sam back in the 70's. Once hiked 10 miles with a buddy thru bear country to a creek. In an hour we had a limit of Dolly's and a couple of ducks for dinner and breakfast. During the spawn once saw the creek jammed packed with bright red Salmon, you could walk on thier backs to cross over.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not up there yet, my brother sent me this photo.
Big King Salmon get me revved up.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1st time I went to BC to catch salmon I landed a 38lb and 42 lb King salmon on 12 lb test. Rented a 15' boat, no guide never done it b4. Its pretty easy up there. Just sayin!
The incredible shrinking King...
Catching Kings over 30lbs is not easy.
There are few places left that still consistently produce big Kings, Kodiak, outside Waters of SE- AK and a few areas in BC.
Even at those places you"ll go through lots of 15-20lbers before finding one over 30lbs.
A 30lber in Homer one the derby last year out of over 500 anglers and the guy one 52k.
Few Rivers in Ak produce big Kings like they used to, the Kenai that produced a 98lber in 1985, hasn't even been worth fishing the last 5 years.

Most of the saltwater fish are hatchery products from the PNW.

I used to fish the rivers when it was full of Kings and on fire.
Most of the really big ones (40-60) were lost as they would eventually head down river and you can't stop them once they get in the current.

Kings are still one of my favorites and I'm happy with a 15b average.
Nothing comes close to it anywhere near here.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Yah you aint gonna catch a big king from shore. We would chase them in the boat sometimes for 30 minutes till they tired.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yah you aint gonna catch a big king from shore. We would chase them in the boat sometimes for 30 minutes till they tired.
Yep I remember fishing some back water off the main channel of the Deshka river, soaking egg roe off the bank.
A tiny bite, I set the hook and all hell breaks out as a monster king every bit of 5' long comes clean out of the water and proceeded to come out of the water 5 more times back and forth. A guy in a boat out in front of me hollered out "You'll never land that one" and sure enough once he figured out which direction he was going, I ran down the bank with him while he smoked my reel and emptied it.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Logs, Bouys, Docks, bridges, I think we lost Kings on every obstacle there was-

1 - 15 of 15 Posts