Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to buy a 2004 Honda four stroke 25hp tiller for $800. It was just services at a dealer and is super clean, does anyone have any opinions on that motor? I've always owned Mercs, last year my 15hp finally gave out on my little boat.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
That is a great deal. I would jump on it.

I have had a number of Honda engines - a 4, 5, 8 and 9.9. They all have been great. Very fuel efficient and quiet. I have nothing bad to say about them. IMO, significantly better than a Merc (for a small engine).

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I'm going to get (the wife ok'd it). Im getting it from a buddy that's moving over seas, I "almost" feel bad for only paying $800.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have had two Honda 4 strokes- both 5hp. great reliable motor. change the jet and it will run amazing. if you are going to use it as a kicker, you may have problems if you tie it in on your fuel line to the main motor. I sold one to a friend and he had to put in an aux pump to get fuel to it... that was a 5 hp motor though

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Great deal great motor...what a price...I have had two...I bought a new one ypu dont want to know what I paid...you cant go wrong...you would be able to sell it at a profit!...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Z- did you ever change the jet ? I ran mine mostly at blue mesa and it wouldn't low idle trolling until I changed it. then it would chug along real slow...

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
No I didnt and it will go like .5 or .75 mph...I dont troll much...I know it is effective but its like watching paint dry...

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Never had experience with a Honda outboard but have had cars/bikes/generators and have loved them all.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Z- did you ever change the jet ? I ran mine mostly at blue mesa and it wouldn't low idle trolling until I changed it. then it would chug along real slow...
I've never needed to change out the jet, nor have I had problems running from the main fuel line in the boat.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Honda's are the best motors that I have ever owned. Sit all winter long and in spring they start with no issues. I would say that is a great price as Honda s carry a premium over other motors.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Anytime your able to buy and use a gasoline powered form of transportation and Not lose money, it's a no brainer....if ya really use it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts