Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you hook your catfish baits? On cut bait I hook they through the corner and leave the hook exposed. On chicken livers I hook the bag I put them in through the top and leave the hook exposed. Problem is, when I am fishing timber I have to bury the hook in the bait so I don't get snagged up. And I have noticed that I miss more cats by doing that. What do you do?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I usually cover the hook, but only slightly...except with cut bait. hooking fish hasnt been my issue lately...but finding them has lol

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
I have had trouble sometimes...guess Cats arent dainty and need the hook tip covered like trout...more like a bull a China shop...I am going to try catmans suggestion...the Catfish I have caught he uses for bait...

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
No problemo -- I just switch to big crawdads! I like to take about a 2/0 to 4/0 Eagle Claw and start it in at the end of the tail (underside) and run it up to come out between its legs. The legs do a fairly decent job of keeping it from snagging up.

With cut bait - I usually cut sort of a long strip out of a perch and then treat it like it was a night crawler. I bury the hook in it. Doesn't cause any problems as long as you set the hook hard enough to make him go crosseyed. :)

Everybody claims you don't need to set the hook with circle hooks. I think when the point is buried in the bait, you still need to.

W. E.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Everybody claims you don't need to set the hook with circle hooks. I think when the point is buried in the bait, you still need to.

W. E.

The "hook set" i use for circle hooks is a side tension hookset...crank up the slack, and apply a wide side sweep with your rod...not really a tradional aggressive type hook set, but its still a hook set none the less.  ive used this on saltwater fly patterns ive tied on circle hooks, it works rather well.  i know some tarpon patterns are tied on circles now, with some success.  most hook sets used with saltwater species on a flyrod are just to keep your rod tip lowered and keep stripping line until it is tight, this works well with circles too if you bring your rod to the side while doing it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts