Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I couldn't yank them out with my pliers though I jerked with everything I had. My thought was, there's no way this will hurt more getting pulled out than it does right now. Those barbs would not let go!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This next one is not for the faint of heart. My pastor friend in Miami took his son & a guest preacher fishing last spring. The son got hung up on a lily pad while working a topwater. He snapped it free & it came whizzing back. He thought it was about to hit their guest, but no... it lodged in his own eyeball. They were in the Everglades & had a 1 hour trip to get back to the boat ramp, then by ambulance it was another hour to the hospital. The University of Miami now uses this picture in their med school textbook for eye injuries. His dad will tell you it's only a miracle, from lots of prayer, that he has most of his vision in that eye. My friend is taking me fishing this summer. I will be taking my sunglasses & a hook proof vest!

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have seen alot of nast hooks in hands arms and even in the butt once..

But the eyeball I hope I never have the opportunity to witness. Ouch!!!!
That one would be hard to remain calm for.

W

·
0 Posts
I got 10 ringed in my eye on the 4th of July with a stick and that was brutal enough. I can't imagine that trebble in my eye. Glad he's substantially OK.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
I was guiding a couple guys on the San Juan years ago and a similar thing happened. I had a dude in the front of my HYDE false casting. All of a sudden "snap"! I told the dude that he just snagged on a tree and broke all his goods off! We pulled over so I could re-rig. After getting his rig ready, I turned my head to talk to the guy in the back, and he was attempting to de-hook the egg pattern from right below hid eye! It was bleeding like crazy!I jumped out of my seat to see what was up! Dude never said a word! Thank god I pinched the barb so it wasn't so bad getting out! After that incident, I explained to the dude up front why false casting out of a boat, on the Juan was not necessary! :D He left the bugs in the h2o and started to catch many of fish. 8) I never let anyone on my boat after that without eye pro after that!

Jim

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
I've had to pull out small #18 flys and I could barely get it out. That big treble is going to be tough.

How did you get it out?

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
A buddy of mine has a picture of another friend of ours wearing a #2 Green Butt Skunk embedded perfectly crosswise in the end of his nose. :D He made him pose for the pic as the price for removing it. >:D

I've fished with some real pips! ;D

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pete-G said:
I've had to pull out small #18 flys and I could barely get it out. That big treble is going to be tough.

How did you get it out?
Two HUGE yanks with my Rapala pliers did not help! I went to ER. They asked me to sign in & you should have seen the girls face when I showed her why I couldn't sign in. A doctor, two RNs, & a technician worked on me. Each finger got a shot of lidocaine, which felt like I was giving birth out of each finger- worse than the hookset or attempts to remove & those were excruciating enough- think about all the nerve endings in your finger tips- didn't cry though ;D Once the lidocaine set in, they used wire cutters to make each hook individual & no longer a treble hook. Then, they just pushed them through, point first- this step took much longer than you'd expect (quite a curve as you'll see in the pic).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts