Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does everybody hook their minnows/shiners? On a bobber for crappie, I've always hooked through the eyes--great swimming action but they don't last long. On a slip rig, I hook them through the back. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
da_teacher said:
On a bobber for crappie, I've always hooked through the eyes--great swimming action but they don't last long.
I prefer to put the hook into their mouth, then up through the front of the head. That's not where their brain is, it's all pretty much bone and cartilage there, so they live and swim a long time on the hook.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
i go fishing with da teacher all the time. i always hook my minnows through the lips and they die before his, and he hooks them through the eyes?

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
then where do i hook them through?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Depends how I am fishing them:

If I want a live presentation I will hook them threw the bottom of the jaw and out the top of the head.
If I want a dead presentation I hook them threw the middle of their body under their backbone.
If I am using a jig head I hook them threw the eyesockets (keeps them on the hook longer for distance casting).

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I always hook them just in front of their tail fins. They still wiggle quite a bit, but they do die quickly on occasion. I've never really tried through the lip. Anyone have any suggestions / tips on why this would not be a good practice. Does a hook through the lip work better or the same then through the tail?

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'm from the east coast. Back there I did alot of back bays and ocean. I was always taught to go through the mouth and not though the lips.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I grew up in Missouri and the general consesus (at least in my circle of fishing buddies) for crappie is to hook thru the eyes. 3o gold hook/splitshot/slip bobber rig

·
Registered
410 Posts
I've never fished with minnows but I might have to try it out. Everyone seems so high on them. I will buy some and try them this weekend. Thanks for all the hooking info.

8)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hear ya tonyb...that's how I've always rigged my minnows for crappies but I tried walking eagles advice and it worked. same rig but different method of hooking. have yet to try a slip bobber though but i will give it a shot.

any particular brands that are easier to cast, better visibility, etc.?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts