Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm sure a lot of you guys have hooked yourself one way or another -
share your tale... Here's mine

I once was pulling out a Rapala shad from my box, and as I was lifting it out it caught on something, promply piercing the treble hook through my middle finger.

It didn't hurt that bad at first, until I realized the barb was well into the meat of my finger. After pulling a bit, I came to the conclusion that the only way out was to push it through my finger out the other side.

After hyping myself up a bit, I forced the hook all the way through my finger, as it pierced the other side, you could even here it pop through my skin!

I clipped off the barb that was sticking out the other side of my finger with some needle nose plyers. Then pulled the hook shaft back through the original hole. I yelled quite a few curse words and got back to fishing - and I still have that stupid crankbait!

W

·
0 Posts
Just minor self-hook-sets.

One time I accidentally stabbed myself in the R quad while flicking water of my knife after gutting some fish. I was in the kneeling position. It sucked big time.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
if you fish it will happen, i have been hooked several times. the worst one that happened in my boat was a guy had 3-4 rods sticking out when i got close to a tree as he grabbed for his rods he kicked a rogue and the hook went through his shoe and sock into his big toe. there was no way to cut the hook as it went past the bend. i had to grab one of the other hooks and jerk it out. a fair size piece of his toe came with it. i got the first aid kit out and taped it up then we continued to fish

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
walleye seeker said:
if you fish it will happen, i have been hooked several times. the worst one that happened in my boat was a guy had 3-4 rods sticking out when i got close to a tree as he grabbed for his rods he kicked a rogue and the hook went through his shoe and sock into his big toe. there was no way to cut the hook as it went past the bend. i had to grab one of the other hooks and jerk it out. a fair size piece of his toe came with it. i got the first aid kit out and taped it up then we continued to fish
That sounds brutal :eek:

·
Registered
340 Posts
When my son was about 8 years old we were out bass fishing. I was bent over getting something out of the tackle box. He said, "Watch how far I can cast, dad."

"What?" I said, as I stood up.

Whack!

It was July and I was shirtless. He burried two of three treble hooks on a Bass-a-reno past the barbs on two hooks each in my chest. So, if you're having trouble counting, I had 4 hooks buried in my chest. All 4 hooks were in past the barbs. I gave a little tug on one, and it didn't feel so good. No way I was getting all that hardware out.

So, I had to drive to the emergency room to get the hooks cut out, and the barbs removed, and a tetanus shot.

It was kind of comical walking into the hospital, shirtless and with this 5" red and white bass plug hanging off my chest.

My son felt worse than I did.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Weezy said:
crankn101 said:
LEARN THE LINE TRICK!!!
The line loop tug and pull? Yeah it wasn't coming back out that way
I disagree, but wont argue the fact.

I have had huge musky size hooks (thick saltwater) all the way in and they popped out. The barbs were so big I had meat hanging out of the holes afterwards. The first time it broke the 25 lb test mono we were using.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
crankn101 said:
Weezy said:
crankn101 said:
LEARN THE LINE TRICK!!!

I have had huge musky size hooks (thick saltwater) all the way in and they popped out. The barbs were so big I had meat hanging out of the holes afterwards. The first time it broke the 25 lb test mono we were using.
Ouch! Well either way I got it out while avoiding the ER - and no meat was hanging out ;) yikes that sounds gory!!!

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Weezy said:
crankn101 said:
Weezy said:
crankn101 said:
LEARN THE LINE TRICK!!!

Ouch! Well either way I got it out while avoiding the ER - and no meat was hanging out ;) yikes that sounds gory!!!
Yeah it sucked! I didnt know the line trick and tried pulling it out with pliers, that wasnt happening the skin was stretching the whole lenght of my arm. Then I decided to go to the cabin and do a few shots of Jack then push it through, but it hurt to bad and I vaged out. So for the next step we had to portage over to another lake and find our fishing buddy that is a DR and he showed us how to do it. So about a 1-1/2 later I finally got that sucker out.

Then one time I was drilling a 12" Bobbie bait to add some weight and...Yeah that one didnt end up good either. So now the average bass size doesn't bother me to bad.

Ill have to find the pics...

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
My buddy got his fingers hooked together and a fish on the other treble. The pic isnt good, but its all I have on my pc now.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Fishing the CWA fall open tourny last year (Which I won BTW :D )I went to flip a walleye in the boat with not a very good flip and it flopped causing a crankbait hook to go straight in my foot. :eek:
It swelled up in less than 10 seconds and was thinking I hooked a vein. Had to tough it out although my partner thought we should hit a urgent care.
I got a pair of pliers and pushed the hook through the other side after some thought on how to get it out. Had to push really hard to get all the way past the barb enough to cut it.
When that point went flying I was relieved. ;D
Couple pics

Still take my chances with sandals btw

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Didn't happen to me...but when I was about 15, my brothers (13 and twins) got in an argument at the river. One of them hit the other and started to run away. The one that got hit swung the fishing pole at the running twin and hit him in the head with it. I heard a snap and realized that the lure had been reeled up to the tip :D :D

So my bro had a daredevle buried in his skull past the barb and bend in the hook. No coming out the other end. Had to take him home to my dad. My dad shot him up with some Novocaine and ripped it out LOL

·
Registered
958 Posts
This year I've added a pair of heavy duty wire cutters to the equipment on board my boat. It's not that I'm so worried about getting hooked or someone else getting hooked. It's because if you don't have the tools to do the ER work on the boat you'll have to stop fishing! ;D

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Couple of years back...trying to tighten down a swivel on one of my kid's outfits so I wouldn't have to be retying knots for him all day and the snap slipped sending a hook under my cuticle....fun for sure..

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
About two or three years ago I learned why you should always match your lure weight to your rod...I tried to send a 1/2 oz kastmaster across a pond with a microlite rod. The rod flexed so much that the lure smacked me in the back of the head and put a big, dull stainless steel hook deep into the meat in the back of my head. I couldn't push it through, and no way was I letting my buddy do it (he did offer at least lol) so I took a trip to the ER where it took two nurses to push the hook all the way out so they could cut the barb. They actually asked me how I thought it should be removed, since they had never had to do that before lol.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
theo9805 said:
i was around 10 years old, hiked away from my family to go fishing by myself. got a spinner treble hook stuck in my finger getting a fish off. fishing was off the hook good, and i couldn't get the hook out of my finger, so i cut it off and put another spinner on my line and kept fishing for another hour or so. my dad helped me get it out when i finally came back to my family. i'll remember that day forever
thats hard core

1 - 20 of 29 Posts