Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What hooks should i use to rig a shiner ??? ??? ??? ??? and how should i rig it for wiper fishing ??? ??? ???

·
Registered
71 Posts
I love Daiitchi hooks they're super strong and incredably sharp. The size of hook has to be compared to the size of bait. Go to daiichihooks.com and look under bleeding bait live bait hooks in the products section. I hook my bait behind their dorsel fin, through the side of the fish. This keeps your minnow alive longer. I have noticed especially in smaller minnows when you lip hook them they tend to die faster. I hope this helps you and good luck!

L

·
0 Posts
I like the Gaakatsu wide gap hooks for my live bait presentations. They have a wide gap for better hookups and thin wire for super penetration. They are also super strong, I've never broke one and have never pulled one straight on a snag or a fish.

Ditto on the through the back under the spine and behind the dorsal for hook placement when using under a slip float or a stationary bottom rig. For jigging I go through the mouth and out the top of the minnow behind the head. That kills the minnow though.

T

·
0 Posts
My favorite hook is Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hooks size 1/0-2/0.

Gamakatsu is thin & light. Won't weigh down the bait fish. I usually hook them between the dorsal fin & tail. This allows them to swim naturally & stay alive longer. I don't ever use floats or bobbers.
A swivel w/ a 12"-18" leader for the hook.

I had a sucessful year for wipers using this method.

T

·
0 Posts
Weightless, usually.

If the bait fish is too small. I use a 1/4-1/2 oz. slip sinker.

·
Registered
680 Posts
be careful with those gamakatsu hooks  ;)
trust me-those things penetrate really easy, really fast, and really far, in fish or human.  :D
those things are so good its incredible- ive never broke one either

1 - 7 of 7 Posts