Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading over to Miramonte tomorrow to try and see if there are any fishies left after CPW killed it last fall. Supposedly they restocked it with some brood stock and who knows what else. Going to put the pontoon in and paddle around for the day while the spousal unit and her brother hunt for the elusive elk in whatever unit they have tags for (which in this case is the area around Miramonte).

True story - multiple years ago (probably around 12 or so) I spent the elk season floating around a small lake on the north side of the LaSals. Wife and her family were elk hunting while I just spent the time on the pond/lake. (Not that I am anti hunting - it's just that my degree in college was in geology and whenever I went hunting I usually got sidetracked looking at the local geology, rock hunting, and generally being a danger to myself and everyone else. Thus I find it is safer to fish while spousal unit hunts). Anyway back to the "I kid you not" story. The hunting wasn't going so well so the folks left the north side of the LaSals and went over to the east side near Redds Ranch (for those of you who many know that area). Anyway, they left camp and I hauled my float tube up to the pond and proceeded to paddle out and begin fishing. Not more than ten minutes later a elk cow and her calf strolled right by the lake (which was not but 50 yards from our camp). With a good cast I could have hooked the calf but I had second thoughts about it thinking that momma cow might come into the lake and stomp me for hurting her baby. Folks still had no luck that day and were a bit torqued when I related the elk fishing event!

So, tomorrow I hope to catch something out of Miramonte but if the chance comes up I think I might try and hook an elk this time around. Is there a state record for catching an elk on the fly?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Back from the lake. No elk. Did catch a gazillion (okay - quite a few) 7 to 8 inch stockers along with four real nice rainbows all around 12 to 14 inches - all with nice pink meat. Forgot to take my camera so no pictures - also forgot my oars so I had to paddle with my flippers instead. Legs are a bit tired but time on the lake was enjoyable none the less. Temperature of the water was right at 54-55 degrees with a medium breeze to keep things interesting.

I was really interested to see if the CPW did indeed restock the lake with anything other than fingerlings. Apparently they did as the larger fish must have been from last fall after the rotenoeing (sp). They also must have recently restocked with the smaller fish as there seems to be a ton of them in the lake. I thought or at least thought I heard that browns were restocked in the lake but saw no indication of that.

The real highlight though was talking to some folks who were trapping crawdads. They had been there a couple of days and had quite a haul. I thought that with the oxygen depletion method CPW used to kill off the smallmouth and everything else, that the crawdads would be hit severely also. But that appears not to be the case. The folks I talked with said the crawdad population is as healthy as it has ever been. That is terrific news as it ought to help produce some bigger fish hopefully.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Great job Jim. Miss the bugs in that lake so it is good to hear. I reckon like the bugs a few smally's made it as well...In a few years they will probably kill, rinse and repeat. Until then glad it's producing those delicious fat trout again!

Sounds like a great time hope you and the family are well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts