Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These absolutely monstrous yampa pike were euthanized for an agenda against most anglers, especially those on the west slope.
"Enjoy"

http://tinyurl.com/dvthf

Yes, I know I will here junk about "relocation" of these fish but there are very few areas relocation occurs; if you read other sources it will say relocation occurs "where practical". Most of the removals are done where it is "not practical." Those few that are relocated have a fairly high mortality rate, and the ones that do survive in the foreign ecosystems (tiny ponds) are caught and kept by some anglers because of mis-information.
Are we all enjoying how our tax dollars are being spent?

I do not wish to bash any agency in this post, but I want people to see these fantastic creatures that are no more.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
cool. Thanks ken.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I am an avid Pike fisherman and that makes me want to puke. Ken I know you want us to keep it civil and I agree we should, so I will try not to piss off anybody. Why can't we pay for these fish to be taken to other lakes. Hey how about selling these monster Pike to other states? Most likely not an option. I would love to see some of these pike put in some ponds in colorado springs but I know that won't happen either. The fact is they aren't ever going to get rid of them completely but it looks like they are going to try. I know they ruined Spinney for me but majority rules and more people wanted it to be a trout lake. I had a buddy Dave Hullings some people might know who he is but anyway about maybe 6 years ago he caught 20, 40 inch Pike in one day at Spinney. 20, 40 inch pike I think that if they could have turned that lake in to the greatest pike lake in the North America and maybe the world. Think of all the out of state money they could have got for that. Lets see you can pay $3000 to go to canada to catch a monster pike or you can go to Colorado and spend $1500 to catch a monster pike. WOW

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
THis sucks for sure, I think its good that anglers know this happens. So I agree posts like this are needed. But I am also with Ken, there have been many discussions about topics like this and opening water systems. But thats all that comes of it, just talk.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
You know guys I would go to meetings and speak up but  ( and I know I am going to get ripped for this) I am very shy and I don't like speaking up in front of all those trout lovers. ( and I want to make it clear I have nothing against trout lovers) You know if I did I would get strung up in one of those meetings. I have been to one and I just sat there very quiet. I have wrote DOW and have got no response. I understand what you are saying Ken and I don't want to turn this into and argument. I know nothing will get done just talking here but what else can I do besides write them again. Do you really think I could start a movement that would turn around the way the DOW treats Pike.
         I do have ideas but I don't know if there is enough support for pike in this state. Pike fishing is almost taboo here in Colorado. Ken don't take this wrong because I know you guys want to keep this a site where people mostly talk about the good things fishing in Colorado has to offer. ( And there is a lot of them) I am not trying to make trouble here and I don't want to lose my right to use this site so if speaking about and complaining about the subject will get me booted off please warn me so I have the chance to shut up.
        One of my ideas would be to offer a lake for Pike fishing that would be dedicated to pike fishing. Manage it for pike exclusivly. Stock it with trout that are 8 inches. ( I know this would be expensive but read on I have solution for that) Let the pike grow to spinney sizes and keep feeding them. Then just like DOW does with a lot of things charge a premium for it. It would be a stamp you could buy for your fishing license. It would cost an additional $25 per person. In addition to that they could charge 2 seperate fees to get in to what ever lake they did this at. Lets take Stagecoach for instance. If you have a pike stamp it is $7.50 to get in to the res. If you don't have a stamp it is $ 20.00 dollars to get in. They could even charge more for out of staters. Think of the possibilities. If they could successfully grow 20 pound pike ( They did it at Spinney on accident) they could get people from all over the United States to come to that lake.

PS Does anyone remember who wrote that article in the Denver Post that was kind of bashing the DOW for trying to get rid of all the Pike and Lakers?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Its ok to talk about stuff the DOW does that you may not like, but there is a difference between talking and ranting and raving about doing something or claiming something needs to be done. Then not doing anything about it.
Who are you emailing at the DOW? I might also suggest emailing the wildlife commision [email protected]. This email address sends your email to all the members of the commission.

·
Registered
46 Posts
waterwolves,
something else that you might want to consider is to ask how many folks would email with you. What I mean is you write the email, send the email to as many folks that will participate and have all of them send the same email to the CDOW. Instead of one man sending one or two letters a week you would flood them with the same concern 20,30,40 or however many times a week. Just a thought. Hope that makes sense

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ww,
I DON'T want to see these pike in a "colorado springs pond" :mad: You guys have good enough fishing as it is for multi-species where as we don't. How about a medium ground and say HARVEY GAP, which had more monster pike than spinney in its hey-day, and now barely has any. They chose 10-15" stocker trout that can barely hold over over bunches of 20 pound northerns.
Lets ALL email the DOW, I have found them responsive even if they are full of it. Consider my crawford email. I said the pike have helped that lake. Crawford once had pretty much only yellow perch and stocker bows, the yellow perch barely grew past 6" (and were overpopulated like no other) and the bows were like 14" max. Bucket biologists put pike in there and now other fisheries, besides the pike and yellow perch fisheries, flourish because the perch aren't as numerous to gobble up bass and crappie eggs.
I am emailing the DOW, as all of us pike lovers should!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Waterwolves:

Being from Minnesota, I REALLY miss the pike fishing there and have yet to fish for pike here. I have seen the argument for and aganst pike over and over on this site and am somewhat aware of the situation pike face in the state of colorado.

As horrible as the situation is, I think that the pike will continue to be the bad guy here (in colorado) for as long as they exist. There are just so many problems with having such a voracious predator in stocked systems. Since really none of the fish we catch in Colorado waters are native (pike, bass, brown and rainbow trout) a balanced system can't exist which will make everyone happy.

I do have to say (again) how dumb I think it is that pike were introduced in the first place and then blamed for eating everything in sight. It's like putting a cat in a room full of mice and then getting upset when they disappear.

anyway...I find it very interesting that this debate rages on in Colorado...It's just never been a factor in the places I've lived that have natural pike.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I have already sent a couple of letters. I think that it is time to send another one, "They can't ignore me forever."

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
In a perfect world you would have hours to devote to writing the DOW, and getting people signed up on group letters, and attending meetings, and writing your state representatives. And asking for a meeting with the DOW. And arming yourself with all the facts and figures to back up your arguments.

And you know what. I don't think it would amount to anything. Because the DOW wants to rid the state of pike or at least reduce their numbers and size, especially where they are competing with trout (Or endangered species). Thats the plain and simple truth and you are not gonna change that.

The walleye guys don't want them in their waters and the trout guys don't want to see them either. I like to catch pike and I wish it wasn't this way but it is. I'm sure some of you will see my attitude as defeatist or something. If so, you are free to devote whatever time you can afford to changing the reputation of the pike. I wish you lots of luck-your gonna need it.

F

·
0 Posts
it does suck whats happening but the agency that decides what stays and what goes is the division of wildlife...not the division of happy colorado fisherman. Although we do pay for the privledge to fish..it is just that a privledge. If northerns are distrubting the natural ecosystem of the yampa river and native fish are bordline exticnt I think its the only solution. We might have a farther drive for trophy northerns but natives should come first with that said. All you cali and texas people go back!!!!!jk kind of ;D

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
FG-If you put all the fishermen who give a damn about exdangered species together you wouldn't even have a crowded elevator. I know I don't. Something to remember-99% of all the species that have gone extinct went extinct before man even inhabited the planet. Its called nature. Someday we will too.

D

·
0 Posts
kirbydog said:
FG-If you put all the fishermen who give a damn about exdangered species together you wouldn't even have a crowded elevator. 
Well, I care.  A lot. We're the ones who put those existing Yampa River native species in danger of extinction and, in my opinion, having done so we have a moral obligation to try to keep extinction from occurring.

I recognize there are reasonable folks who disagree. However, fishermen who do care about endangered species constitute a sizeable percentage of the fishing public.

F

·
0 Posts
I disagree kirby. If it was a cute cuddly animal that was on the verge of extinction everyone would care. I think fish are just as important to the balance of nature as anything else. Being that we are all outdoorsmen there would be a little more concern of a species facing extinction over having to make a farther drive to catch an abundant species.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Don-Many of the endangered species are going extinct because we built dams and lowered the water temp. In the process we created some decent tailwater trout fisheries. Should we dismantle those dams now. The western slope provides much of out drinking water and water we use to irrigate crops and clean our cars. Would you be willing to live with water rationing forever to help out the razorback sucker?

Its easy to say we support efforts to bring back endangered species but are we all ready to make real sacrifices to do so.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
FG-I don't consider fishing a privaledge. I think its a right and you get to do it unless your breaking the rules or endangering the resource.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
fishinguitars said:
I disagree kirby.  If it was a cute cuddly animal that was on the verge of extinction everyone would care.  I think fish are just as important to the balance of nature as anything else.  Being that we are all outdoorsmen there would be a little more concern of a species facing extinction over having to make a farther drive to catch an abundant species. 
Hey FG just want to say I love your post and agree with a lot of what you say and I don't totally disagree with what you are saying now. I just have one question. You see that big Brown trout you are holding now in that picture? He is next because brown trout are not native either right. So where does it stop then? I have seen brown trout take over some river systems so I don't think that idea is so far fetched. I could be off base there but I do think there can be some compromising the DOW and pike lovers. Give us pike lovers one lake in each of the four corners of the state. Stagecoach, Elevenmile or Spinney, a lake down southeast and southwest and the Yampa river. IMO the rest of the lakes can be whatever the DOW wants. I know it won't happen but I can dream can't I. If Pike fisherman represent 5% of the Fishing people then give us 2% of the lakes.

D

·
0 Posts
kirbydog said:
Its easy to say we support efforts to bring back endangered species but are we all ready to make real sacrifices to do so.
Kirby-

It's a question of taking "reasonable" steps and reasonable people can disagree about which steps are over that line of "reasonableness".  No, I don't advocate breaching every dam on the western slope.  But I am okay with elimination of non-native pike and smallmouth from the Yampa if those populations have a negative impact on endangered species.  That step, to me at least, is "reasonable".

And it may turn out that some species become extionct, despite our reasonable efforts.  But that doesn't mean the efforts should not be made.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts