Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an FYI,, Some big bows are hitting up there. I was fishing the west side from a boat, Both with a silver 4 inch Yamamoto grub and a minnow suspended 3-5 feet below a bobber. The wind was almost non existent so I was just slowly working the shoreline.. ended up with several nice rainbows in the 20 inch range and they were fat and healthy. The park ranger stated that they had been catching the same sizes on the south bay from shore early in the mornings on orange colored powerbait.
I was mainly fishing for walleye and smallmouth but never did get bit on them. My first time on the lake and I was doing some exploring.. I?ll be back for sure. There seems to be a lot of potential for walleye and bass on the lake.

Brett

·
Registered
594 Posts
I was there on Saturday as well...Got one bump jiggin for Walleye, and that was it. Water temps were about 45-47. It was my first time there, nice lake!
left_turn56

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just to let you know, and hopefully it works the same for you as it did for me, in the far north corner in the no wake area in the furthest north west cove i was hammerin bass last year, since you've never been there thought it might help, but that was later in the summer, when the lake is to rough to ski i grab the rod and head up in there i guess we'll have to see how goes it this year though.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, I will definitly be up there some more this year and try that area out, We cruised through there just looking around a little and it looked promising. The no wake coves are a nice feature in that lake. Carter just gets crazy during the water ski season and ther eis no place to escape the rough water created by them.
Brett

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Horsetooth is a great lake to fish, the thing that gets me is having to pay a fee everytime. And a hefty one! 13-15 ( I can't remember which) bucks a pop is pretty pricy. Just cheap I guess, but it sure gets old.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I like both Horsetooth and Carter so much that I just buy an annual for $145 for both the boat and truck... Sure don't like to pay it, though.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Is that for a Larimer County resident, or does it matter. Kindof makes our state pass look like a heck of a bargin!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, the fees are a bit excessive I think, we camped tehre last weekend, 17 bucks a night. plus the 12 bucks for the truck and boat each day. 58 bucks just in the fees. But hey, It's cheaper than a motel and the views are way better. They also keep the park in very nice shape with clean campgrounds etc so the $$ seems to be put to good use.
Brett

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
JohnnyO19 said:
Is that for a Larimer County resident, or does it matter. Kindof makes our state pass look like a heck of a bargin!
That was for a non-resident...

·
Registered
84 Posts
4/25/05

Hoorse tooth is very good. I went a week ago and caught a 3 lbs. Bass right on the dam where on the hoorse tooth map and where it says huge walleye. There is a little pocket/hole that there were millions of fish on the fish finder and got thousands of bites.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Fished Sentaka Cove today, w/ a buddy for trout, w/out so much as a bite. Fished from shore from 1:30 - 4:30. Tried crawfish, worms, trout lures and power-bait. Sat through a 15 minute hail/sleet, and a 10 minute rain. Finally decided to try other waters. Maybe next time. However the $6 fee goes up to a $7 fee in a few days.  :(   My State Parks pass has already more than paid for itself between trips to Boyd & Barbor Ponds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts