Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my new issue of F&S today and horsetooth was listed as one of the top spots in the west. Maybe I am underestimating the tooth. I'll have to head up there.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
are you shure it's the same horsetooth?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Okay, and then again maybe I'm being unfair.

A couple of hot tips for Horsetooth:

1. The farthest north dam, outside of Satanka Cove, has walleyes hanging out around the rocks of the dam and they can be caught on Rapalas and similar lures. Haven't tried live bait but it probably works. The deep water just off that dam has some nice rainbow trout, I have caught some 3 pounders there.

2. Fish the opposite shore from where the big opening to Inlet Bay opens out. They are running water into the inlet to fill the lake, and it is a bit colder than the rest of the lake. This water flows out of Inlet Bay and comes across and hits the opposite shore of the lake, and for some reason the trout and walleyes like that, and hang out there.

Can't help you with Horsetooth bass, though.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Probably about 10 years ago, either Bassmaster or Bassin' Magazine (I forget which) listed Horsetooth as one of the top 50 bass waters in the country. As great of a smallie fishery as Horsetooth was before it was drawn down, I thought that was a little bit of a stretch. Nonetheless, it was a great bass fishery and is getting there again.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Don't know where these sports writers go for their info but they can be sooo wrong on things sometimes its comical. Sometimes the truth gets lost in the effort to sell mags. Hyping a body of water is nothing new.

·
Registered
97 Posts
F&S reports are like DOW's weekly reports.....they stop a few anglers, that means 1 -3 people, and ask for a report. I like the ones that say something like.........
SIMPSON PONDS: Bass fishing fair to good with bass hitting Purple Salamanders... which means some guy snagged a four incher in the side with his 5/0 hook...and claimed it was a 2 pounder.

Enough BS'ing...I hope that the "TOOTH" is as good as "reported".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts