Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out in search of open water this afternoon and ended up on the north end of Horsetooth lake. The south half of H'tooth is frozen with a thin fragile film of ice. The north end is still open water even though several small coves have frozen.

You can't ice fish this lake, it is never safe to go out on, always breaking up and refreezing every few days.

I fished just outside the opening to Satanka Cove (extreme north end of lake) for a couple of hours with no bites. I tried using the last rig that worked on the trout at Lon Hagler res. just before it froze. A 1-1/2" pink and white tube jig tipped with a couple of salmon eggs, about 6-7 ft. down under a slip bobber. More or less just like ice fishing, except you can cast.

Even with no bites, it was nice to get out and stand next to the water in the warm sun. A couple of fat rabbits hung around and watched me fish. As long as it stays warm this week I'll go out and try it again; I spotted some likely spots along the northeast shoreline.

Beats sitting around watching the Outdoor Channel!

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Yeah I fished below the dam in Estes today (also got the skunk), still fun though. I'm going to try the lake (Estes) itself tomorrow. I'll have longer to fish and hopefully get lucky.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
The side of the lake (maybe 1/5 - 1/4 of the lake) nearest town is completly open. Then there is a strip down the middle, almost half the lake long, thats open. Mary's has quite a bit of open water, they recently pumped water in. The Big Thompson is good for about 2 and 1/2 miles below the dam.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Returned to Horsetooth today and fished the same spot only deeper (about 15 ft down, in 25 ft of water) and caught one nice trout. Only about 19" long but so fat and deep in the body that it weighed 3 lb. It took the hook very deep and was bleeding profusely so I took it home for the skillet much to my wife's delight. The fillets were very orange in color, like a salmon.

I didn't fish as long as I wanted to, the wind was almost blowing me off my feet. But boy could I cast a long ways! :)

Edited:
Forgot to mention, I talked to one fisherman (the only other one besides me stupid enough to be out there) and he said two buddies of his were fishing off the rocks at the north dam a couple of days ago and landed 41 walleyes on Rapalas. Size unknown. This guy spent about an hour throwing Rapalas out there and got none, and after he left I threw some out that way too, but saw no walleyes.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Glad you got that trout!  It didn't have one eye did it?  I caught a real nice 19" trout up there this year with one eye.  Poor fella.

You gotta let me know this summer if you wanna go out on Horsetooth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts