Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monday morning while fishing for smallies, a friend of mine had a rattlesnake swim near his boat and actually crawled up the engine.

The unwelcomed visitor soon met its demise as it did not have a boarding pass.

Beware.

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
That would freak me out. Pretty sure I would do exactly the same. Wonder if anyone's going to defend that nasty little bugger?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Immediate death no questions asked - season or license does not apply when wildlife invades your boat/tent/vehicle etc LOL

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
that happens often, my buddy and I had one heading to our boat out in the middle of a lake where we were on a hot walleye bite. it looked like it was going right by till we were between it and the setting sun when it turned right for our stern but it couldn't out run the big motor

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
When I kill a snake peeps get all pissy about it-

·
Registered
991 Posts
Actually, rattlesnakes are made to be killed. That's how I was raised...Bullsnakes are fine - but a rattler gotta go!

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Very interesting, same thing happened to me last year at Horsetooth. We were anchored in one of the coves and the snake swam right up to our boat and around the motor mount. Pounced it with my long net handle and it bit into the foam grip with its fangs. It met its demise through continued pounding from my net handle.

I did see it coming for quite a long ways but didn't realize it was a rattler until it got close. We will probably stay out a little deeper in the coves there to give us some extra space in case it happens again.

·
Registered
301 Posts
My neighbors used to waterski Horsetooth a lot, till she decided to ski over a stick in the water and noticed it had a rattle on it when she passed over it. Good for a tale the rest of her life.

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
A whole bunch of good reasons to stay away from pressed hamsta lake!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Geez, thats nuts. I grew up near Laporte and spent alot of time at the Tooth. There are a ton of snakes there, but I have never seen one do that.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
That could get real interesting fast in a kayak!:eek::eek:
I know Chad LaChance fishes there with his stand up paddle board alot. I wonder if he's had any close encounters?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts