Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Horsetooth Res. shore fishing?

Great forum you guys have here!....Anybody shore fish at Horsetooth regularly? I haven't been there since I was a kid (over 20 years ago) and I have no idea where to start. I've heard smallmouth bass fishing is pretty good there, any of it acessible by shore or do you need a boat? What about for Trout? Also, any plan B places near Ft. Collins? I usually like to fish big lakes in the morning and smaller ponds later in in the day. Any tips would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Re: Horsetooth Res. shore fishing?

Watson Lake is great for smallmouths, some big ones in there. Riverbend Ponds, Kingfisher Ponds and Prospect Ponds can be good for largemouths at times. I am usually at the Prospect Ponds every day on my lunch break from work!

·
Registered
7,704 Posts

Sentaka cove is good shore fishing. I heard it's a good place for Small Mouths, but haven't got one yet. However, We've gotten some nice rainbows off the shore there.

·
Registered
84 Posts

Go to the dam and at the corner where lake keeps going on fish right there by the HUGE boulder in the water. You will be having ALOT of BASS.

Ps use a jig with a night crawler you will catch more bass/fish with this lure than anything else.

TRUST ME I TRIED IT EVERY TIME I GO THERE AND IT WORKS!!!!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks for the tip, Pike Hunter, and your absolutely right about using nightcrawlers, thats what I usually use for bass..... works great!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Well, I'm heading out to try Horsetooth tomorrow(sat. 5/7), if no luck there I'll try some of the ponds in Ft. Collins later in the day. Thanks again to everybody for the fishing tips.

·
Registered
60 Posts

I've only tried it twice but I've never had luck on the shore. My friends who used to fish there regularly always caught walleye, they usually used a lil dinky inflatable raft, it was good enough to help them to get to good areas for fishing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts