Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somebody told me today that the length restrictions for walleye at the Tooth had changed. I went on the DOW site and the regs for Horsetooth did not even mention restrictions on walleye, just bass. Has anybody heard anything on this?

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
I'm pretty sure all limits and restrictions are off due to stunted fish...that keep getting released....

Not enough food to support the population of walleyes and bass in there, so they grow slowly, and don't get to trophy size. High levels of mercury in those fish.

Personally, I wouldn't eat them....but putting them back doesn't really help either.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
I'm excited to see the impact of the new rule...should create a healthier system over time. I ate a couple 18 1/2" eyes from the 'tooth last year...still alive to tell about it at least! ;)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the responses gentlemen. I had also heard that it had gone down to 15", but after looking into the regs, was a little confused. If Chad says no size restrictions, then thats what it is. I may have to spend a little time up there thinning out those 17 3/4" fish that I caught all last summer.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
MadJas said:
Thanks for all the responses gentlemen. I had also heard that it had gone down to 15", but after looking into the regs, was a little confused. If Chad says no size restrictions, then thats what it is. I may have to spend a little time up there thinning out those 17 3/4" fish that I caught all last summer.
If you have small children, I highly recommend you don't feed those fish to your kids...

Good luck out there! Looking forward to the reports!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My dad is a retired fisheries biologist who spent the last ten years of his career studying mercury levels in fish throughout the western US. The amount of fish it would require anybody to eat that would adversly affect your health is staggering. I am not that good of a walleye fisherman ;).

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
MadJas said:
My dad is a retired fisheries biologist who spent the last ten years of his career studying mercury levels in fish throughout the western US. The amount of fish it would require anybody to eat that would adversly affect your health is staggering. I am not that good of a walleye fisherman ;).
Kool! Then I'm not tellin' you anything you don't already know! Enjoy! Bon appetit ;D

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Rivrunnr1 said:
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Wow interesting Mrwiggles..."In an age and growth study done in 2008, all fish under 14 years old still failed to surpass the current minimum size limit."

That means the smallish fish under 18" are still super old. Makes for a high merc level. LOL
Mrwigglestheworm said:
I'm pretty sure all limits and restrictions are off due to stunted fish...that keep getting released....

Not enough food to support the population of walleyes and bass in there, so they grow slowly, and don't get to trophy size. High levels of mercury in those fish.

Personally, I wouldn't eat them....but putting them back doesn't really help either.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts