Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife wanted to take the trailer camping for mothers day so we will head up to the tooth fri, sat, & sun. any info would be appreciated I will be fishing out of my kick boat with no motor. Does anyone know if I have to have it registerd to put it on there?

·
Registered
44 Posts
i don't know if there are specific regs for horsetooth, but the state says that if you don't have a motor on it (electric or otherwise), you don't need to have it registered..

·
Registered
664 Posts
You will still need to buy a boat pass for each day you are on the water at horsetooth. They have a 'paddling' or 'non motorized' boat pass which is a little cheaper than the regular boat pass. Check out the Fishing reports here or on the DOW website for horsetooth. And consider staying in the bays with your non-motorized boat or you may get run over by a jet ski or yacht.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Farmer Ted Your just the guy I wanted to talk to! NICE SMALLIES BY THE WAY! I was hoping you would let me in on some of your monster smallie catching techniqes!

·
Registered
664 Posts
ahhh...I don't really have any secrets. All of my smallies have been in the coves in shallower water. I've caught them on spinners, spoons, and tubes this year. I think I may have just gotten lucky and caught them at the end of pre-spawn. My hunch is that they're spawning now and could be tough. I've actually gotten skunked at horsetooth the last couple times I went.

I would say to cover a lot of water in the bays and see if you can get into any. Where I've caught one, I've caught ten. If nothing else throw a multi-species lure like a #2 or 3 mepps, 1/4 oz daredevle or bouyant, or an appropriately sized jig and twister. If the smallies don't want it maybe the rainbows or walleye will.

I've heard that the southern bays (Inlet and Etluck) were producing nice trout and Etluck bay is very sandy and shallow (near the campground on the south end) All of my fish came from the northern reigons of the res. so I haven't had any personal experience at the south end this year.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts