Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are seriously considering a houseboat vacation in Voyageurs next summer. It'll just be the two of us with one granddaughter so we'll likely get a boat in the 42-44' class. I'll take my Lund and tow it behind so I'll have good electronics and iPilot, along with all my gear. Walleye and pike are the usual prey, just want to be in some beautiful country with loons.

Based on your experience, what things should I consider when houseboating? Did you have a decent experience? What should I definitely bring or leave home? Any tips?

TIA

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
We houseboat at Powell several trips per year.

Our trips are all bigger groups. I can't imagine just my wife and me taking the houseboat out, especially with another boat to tend to as well. It is a lot of work to anchor.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
My wife and I are seriously considering a houseboat vacation in Voyageurs next summer. It'll just be the two of us with one granddaughter so we'll likely get a boat in the 42-44' class. I'll take my Lund and tow it behind so I'll have good electronics and iPilot, along with all my gear. Walleye and pike are the usual prey, just want to be in some beautiful country with loons.

Based on your experience, what things should I consider when houseboating? Did you have a decent experience? What should I definitely bring or leave home? Any tips?

TIA
My Buddies and I have done at least 12 HB trips on Lake of the Woods and Lac Seul...
PM Me if You need some tips....

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bionic Man and I Fish (PM's you).

I am taking your comment about anchoring the HB very seriously, especially with my bad back! Sounds like I may have to round up another person or two to share our adventure.

Appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
One NICE advantage to Houseboating at RAINY LAKE, LAKE OF THE WOODS, or LAC SUEL is the presence of Large SHADE TREES, most of which provide nice trunks to tie off on as well as VERY NICE SHADE ! :thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice photos - I'm going to have to get one of those fancy cameras! :)

A couple of phone calls made to outfitters and we can get a 'spot guide' who will drive us to our spot. I can deal with that rather than risk their gear and my $$ by myself. After all, it's about the experience and fishing, not the 3.5mph ride.

Looks like you are having a great experience Bionic Man!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Nice photos - I'm going to have to get one of those fancy cameras! :)

A couple of phone calls made to outfitters and we can get a 'spot guide' who will drive us to our spot. I can deal with that rather than risk their gear and my $$ by myself. After all, it's about the experience and fishing, not the 3.5mph ride.

Looks like you are having a great experience Bionic Man!
THAT is what We do at Lac Suel... Then We "hopscotch" back and forth in the smaller fishing boats behind the HB on the trip up to Our "spot" to do some fishing...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts