Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We should organize a Colorado Flyfishermen forum member fishing trip? Any interest/ suggestions? Demeter.

T

·
0 Posts
i would be game - if its on a weekend. i suggest fall (early oct.) perhaps to the south platte. i also have some private waters i can get on, but it has a rod fee at $60 per rod. it is a 4 mile stretch of water that i can get as many as 12 on for the day, but at least 4 is needed to book the whole lease.
let me know what is decided.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I'd be game too. Not to make demands, Sundays are better for me in the fall... I have a fairly rare illness (for out here anyway) that I turn bright orange and lose my mind on Saturdays in the fall. Count me in either way.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yeah, I can't say there's too much danger of me turning black and gold this fall, but we'll see. How are those bonecutters gonna be this year?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
A get together sounds good....since more than a handful of people might inhibit the fishing on most of the rivers around here, how about a lake outing? Delaney Buttes this fall perhaps? theres more than enough water to go around up there. Or, if we must fish a river, how about the North Platte (in Wyoming) Between the Miracle Mile and Grey Reef theres quite a bit of water, along with places to stay at the Miracle Mile Ranch and others. Both would be overnight trips at a minimum, but the quality of fishing is good and its usually well worth the trip. If there are guys that are still new to fly fishing its also a good place to start, id be glad to work with anyone that wanted some tips. I might even be able to arrange a drift boat, which would be good if there are any people out there that havnt floated before.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I would like to go, I am not the greatest fly fisherman so a trip like this would be more of a learning trip for me. So I could check out everyone's mad skills... Then everyone could point and laugh at me.

·
Registered
179 Posts
september to early october on the arkansas river is usaully as good as the spring fishing and there is plenty of public water to go around. there are also lots of places to camp along hwy 50 below Salida.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Salida would be a great choice. The ark is a nice river and Salida is a pretty central location for Co.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The arkansas is fine and all but last time i was on Grey Reef my buddy actually used the phrase dude that fish won't fit in the net. Just something to think about.....

Fish

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
The Arkansas is a very fine destination, but thats a very good point about the Reef...

well have to let this thread run a little longer and get a general consensus on where people wanna go...So far Delaney, the Arkansas, and the North Platte all sound like good options

·
Registered
179 Posts
i was at Grey Reef in may and the fishing was good,but the guide was saying that the river gets a lot of moss in it and fishing is difficult after june. i have only been there that 1 time so ,if anyone knows the scoop on how the river is in sept or oct please post that . if it is good during that time it is a great river and the fish are big and very strong. lots of fun to hook and hopefully catch.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
The moss dies off mostly in the fall and winter, which is when i fish it the most...in the spring they crank up the flows (usually, on good year) and blow out the stuff that grew the year before. I gotta say the best time to fish the Reef is November-March..less people usually and some of the bigger fish start to move around more...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ok Rottal here is the question of the day have you ever caught a fish on a dry fly at the reef. I can honestly say I have not but I also had a 2 hour period where a buddy and I hooked a fish almost every cast in May. 2 years ago the water was down I hooked a 29" rainbow on the first cast of the year wading out to the spillway. I figured my year could only go downhill from there. Also if you go in the fall you can pull off a morning of duck hunting and than a nice float when the day warms up.

Fish

·
Registered
16,535 Posts
My bro and I will be near Grey reef on Veterans day weekend,November 11-13th to hammer big bos on nymphs.We have a room reserved at the "Inn at Alcova". Or something like that.Lots of free camping all around there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts