Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm giving serious consideration to renting the building on thatcher ave. and reopening another shop. but i dont have a clue as to where one gets his supplies from as far as wholesale tackle and where do you get live bait from? if anyone has any input id greatly appreciate it.

M

·
0 Posts
It'll be tough for an independent starting out. Best bet is to start with Jobbers - Maurice (Western Hoegee), Buckeye Sports, etc., etc. Try contacting local reps first and they may be able to help you out. You will need a store front before they talk to you and at first, they probably won't offer credit to you.

For buying outright wholesale lots, try the wholesale section on e-Bay. Many times there are good deals but keep in mind, there are also many times when folks are trying to unload the stuff they can't sell. You can also buy out other independents that are going out of business.

A lot of independents also are very resourcefull. Get friendly with your local tire store so you can take tire weights off their hand at a deal - then mold them into weights, jig heads, sinkers, etc. Tie your own flies and build your own "custom" rods when things are slow.

I worked in the industry a VERY long time ago and have often thought of opening a shop. Takes a lot of hard work, sweat, and a few tears. Also would take away from a lot of your fishing time.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Man I drove by Tony's today to get bait. (the bait shop on thatcher) Had no idea it was gone, was just there in Jan. Had to buy some worms at loaf n jug.
I'd stop by when I'm in the area, which would be alot during the summer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think it would be a good idea.  The bait shop here in P. West is gone also.  Well it has been moved to the RV park but not many know about it. 
Its been a long time since that store on Thatcher was open.  It should be a great spot really. 

·
Registered
248 Posts
hit up outlaw bait in c\s for your live bait i know he does wholesale and makes most of his money selling wholesale the shop he has is just a side project. i know alot of the other bait shops buy from him too. its a start

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
cryde said:
   hit up outlaw bait in c\s  for your live bait  i know he  does  wholesale and makes most of his money selling wholesale   the shop he has is just a side project. i know alot of the other bait shops buy from him too.   its a start 
The only thing about outlaw bait is he has some weird hours (maybe just in the winter months) so I would call and see if they are open before heading over there.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I respect a man that wants to go in business for himself. After running two businesses, the 1st thing I would want to know is why the other shop closed its doors? Just because it seems like a great idea, doesnt mean it will work. I would do a LOT of checking into the whys and why nots in that area. I surely wish you the best. You can get a copy of the Yellow Book for Dummies for people that want to start up their own business.
They have a lot of good ideas. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
according to the owner of the building, the last bait shop there had two partners and one of them died. the remaining partner could'nt handle it on his own so he closed it. thanks for all the ideas and suggestions, keep them coming, i'm really giving a lot of thought to this.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thats the bait shop in P.W. it was doing good until the partner had his accident. The partner had a bait shop in the RV camp ground in PW last year, not sure if he is going to open it back up or not though.
But why did the little shop on Thatcher close?

·
Registered
699 Posts
the guy than ran the shop on thatcher i heard got nailed in a poaching investigation then i guess had a car crash that killed him or something or other

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
No, the guy who ran the bait shop in Pueblo west, Kurt Leach, was busted for poaching and then died in a one car accident. The bait shop on thatcher closed because he ran out of money and couldnt pay the overhead and make a profit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts