Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

With all the shad in Chatfield this fall how do you think that will affect Walleye Size in 2006?

• No Change, lots of 17.9 inchers with occasional keepers.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Marginally more keepers.

• Significantly more keepers.

• Almost all keepers.

• No real difference in size but lots of really fat fish.

• Don't care.

• Don't know.

• There are Walleye in Chatfield?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
24,883 Posts
chef...

If so I would hope to find some trophy fish if they are that well fed.
...supposedly they took fish larger than the 18 pound state record during spawn taking last year...hey Looney...didnt you help out...what was the biggest monster you saw at Chatfield...I think there are ones pushing 20 in Cherry Creek...and I know the largest out of Aurora I think to date is 14 and change...

· Registered
24,883 Posts
sook

i think it'll be about the same size. even smaller. i've been fishing at the dam spillway for last 5 years in a row about once a week every season (early to mid spring when they drain excess water from the reservoir) and been through hundreds of walleyes. i haven't seen any growth in size and the fish are very bony.... i think people who say walleyes are going to be bigger this year don't know what they're talking about. i'm a regular at the spillway. i gotta say fish were bigger 5 years ago than last year. i don't think they are adapting too well at chatfield.
...I think they will be different this year based on a couple of factors and yes the ones early last year from the spillway and lake were emaciated...they clearly hadnt had enough food...the shad had crashed in the lake...the major infusion of water coming out of the lake due to runoff is normally a late May, all of June, sometimes beginning of July...if I remember correctly the DOW didnt put all the breeder shad from Chatfield in until June...in fact I just went and found the article written by Ed Dentry of the News entitled LIVE AID: SCADS OF SHAD RENEW FOOD BASE IN AREA RESERVOIRS that was published on June 15th of last year...so the adult shad didnt go in until the beginning of June...most people had a tough time catching fish out there after the huge boils baby baitfish appeared...with anglers reporting either a few trout or eyes on each excursion if any at all...which would suggest fish dining heavily on the new food source or some pretty good fisherman becoming bad fisherman...there have also been a couple of pictures of recent trout out of Chatfield that I think make things encouraging for walleye fatness...the following trout pictures by Raynman, Cold Water Assasin, and WonMoreFish (thanks for the pictures guys) from Chatfield in January suggest they have been dining quite heavily on the minnow forage base...ie. I dont think they got all those chins from sipping size 24 midges...and walleyes are even bigger fish eaters than trout...here are the pictures:

That last one was 10 inches and weighed 19 pounds...just kidding...I think it looks promising for Chatfield...I am more stoked than Looney on a case of happy pills!...

· Registered
24,883 Posts
I caught my biggest walleye (10 pounds) on a very atypical day...

Late May...

From Shore...

9am...

No Wind...

Not a cloud in the sky...

Brightly Sunny...

78 degrees...

Granted not much boat traffic (Aurora Reservoir)...

She wasnt a fluke...I also caught an 8 pounder and 7 pounder the same day...and later in the morning on top of it...all in conditions more fit for sun bathing...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.