Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

With all the shad in Chatfield this fall how do you think that will affect Walleye Size in 2006?

• No Change, lots of 17.9 inchers with occasional keepers.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Marginally more keepers.

• Significantly more keepers.

• Almost all keepers.

• No real difference in size but lots of really fat fish.

• Don't care.

• Don't know.

• There are Walleye in Chatfield?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Allright guys, I just moved here from MN, but this situation is very similar to that of what we have experinced back there the last 8-10 years on lake Mille Lacs, oveabundance of forage=tough biting, but very healthy walleye populations. It is a very simple cycle or should hopefully work out that way, in the high shad years, fishing may be tough, but at least thare are big chunky fish out here, at peak periods(i.e. pre and postspawn, and fall) of the year one would think a person could scratch up some fish, and at least those you catch will be quality. Once that shad population declines, the bite will be on, and everyone will benefit, with a fishery full of chunky, hungry eyes!

Note I don't know anything about the life cycle of shad, spawning, and etc, but the perch on Mille Lacs were at a high point the last couple of years, and now they are declining, and naturally walleye fishing is getting pretty darn awesome, especially with numbers of big fish.

Are there multiiple year classes of fish making up the population in Chatfield? If so I would hope to find some trophy fish if they are that well fed. Sounds like there are lots of 17 inchers, get into many in the 25-30 inh range, thats what I am looking for.

· Registered
12 Posts
Zman, thanks for the info...I have been hoping to hear about that type of fish potential out here, with the warm weather and extended growth season. It is really hard to crack the 30 in. mark back in MN, lots of 10 pound fish out there, if in the right spot and time, but above and beyond that are tough to come by.
By the trout pics, and from what everyone says I am really excited about checking things out on Chatfield. Should be interesting to see what type of reports come in this spring.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.