Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

With all the shad in Chatfield this fall how do you think that will affect Walleye Size in 2006?

• No Change, lots of 17.9 inchers with occasional keepers.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Marginally more keepers.

• Significantly more keepers.

• Almost all keepers.

• No real difference in size but lots of really fat fish.

• Don't care.

• Don't know.

• There are Walleye in Chatfield?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
297 Posts
My guess is they may be more keepers than last year to start but they won't last long. I've been fishing the Walleye's hard for the last 4 years and have only seen a handfull of keepers. Usually early in the season. I"m sure the majority of them go home by June. The one's that make it past 17.9 go home the next time they get caught.

· Registered
10 Posts
pitbull said:
I would say not to much  of change in size a little fatter but how would I know I cant ever catch em!
I fish Chatfield all of the time.  When the water is high and king fisher is part of the main lake, the walleys come in to grub out on the pan fish. I fished in there last year in May and  June and landed several keepers ranging from 19 to 24 inches using rubber worms or green grubs. Even caught a few 16 plus inch small mouths.

· Registered
2,952 Posts
why don't they bump up the minimum length so the fish are a little bigger? Seems to me if everything is 17.9" something is wrong.

· Registered
3,678 Posts
there are plenty of bigger fish in there people just need to change their tactics to catch them, what you caught them on last year and the year before that may not work as good this year. try something new don't just complain about the fishery. look at the spawning nets they put out every year, they get tons of bigger fish in them. when they stop getting good fish in the spawn nets then you should start worrying about the fishery. change it up a bit you might get a suprise, try something that you never thought would catch a fish. it works..

· Registered
6,546 Posts
Alot of big Eye's get caught there that you never hear about! That lake is loaded with big fish just like Cherry Creek. You aren't going to catch them in broad daylight with hundred of water craft tearing up the water.

· Registered
24,883 Posts
I caught my biggest walleye (10 pounds) on a very atypical day...

Late May...

From Shore...

9am...

No Wind...

Not a cloud in the sky...

Brightly Sunny...

78 degrees...

Granted not much boat traffic (Aurora Reservoir)...

She wasnt a fluke...I also caught an 8 pounder and 7 pounder the same day...and later in the morning on top of it...all in conditions more fit for sun bathing...

· Registered
6,546 Posts
jamiehughes said:
i've actually caught alot of walleye at chattfield and cherry creek when they are really busy. it seems to fire the walletes up,never caught any big ones though.
ANy one can jig up numbers there during the day, but most of the big girls are nocturnal. Of course there are always exceptions to every rule, (especially in fishing)LOL. I saw a 10 year old girl catch a 31" Eye at Cherry Creek on a red/white daredevil with salmon eggs hanging off the hook ??? There is just no justice in this sport!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.