Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its a bit of a trip from CS or Denver but Trinidad is one of my favorite lakes. Largemouth, smallies, walleye, catfish, trout-just about everything that swims in CO. My girlfriend and I go down there for a couple of days now and then-I fish and she shops. ;) For years the DOW has referred to it as a "sleeper". Guess thats because it doesn't get the pressure alot of other front range lakes get. I got fond memories of that place in the spring. Ed

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cancun-I guess that depends on where you live. ::) Its about 5 miles off I-25 from mile marker 12. Thats about 2 hrs. from CS. Ed

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
oh thats funny
thats why no one want to talk about that lake
they dont want to tell anyone they got lucky
in trinidad

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
you guys are nuggets!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Yea, its a great place to fish just dont get in a car accident you never know what will happen to you in the hospital there.  ;D

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, all you sexually insecure guys can rest easy. ;) I hear the surgeon at the sex change place has retired and they're having trouble finding a replacement so the place will probably close-no kidding, it was in the CS paper a few months back.

Back to fishing, this is a great little lake (about 800 acres) . They allow jetskis but you don't see many on there and during the week you just about have the place to yourself. In fact, the more I talk about it the more I realize its time for a trip down there. Ed

·
Registered
804 Posts
Ed I have a friend whose family use to live there. He use to fish it all the time and brag about how good the fishing was. I really do think it is a sleeper .

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
There is actually an artical on Trinidad Lake in the currant issue of CO F&H (April 7-28). It makes it sound pretty nice, and ther's a map w/ the best walleye and trout locations. Just so you know, I'm pretty secure. However, if we start losing members (after fishing there), and get new ones. With names like SHOPPING EAGLE, MCDISH, GRANDMA, FISINGKITTEN, and 2EYESHADOW, I'm outta here!  ;)       

·
Registered
24,638 Posts
It is one of my favorite places to fish...the state park campground there is really top notch...I fished it one weekend last year in April...it was snowing and 30 in Denver and was 74 degrees down there...the variety of fish was pretty impressive too...standing in the same spot on the dam in a couple of hours I caught 6 trout, 3 walleyes, and 5 bass using rootbeer tube jigs and leeches...you never knew what you were going to catch...I saw too on the Colorado Master Angler Awards the following fish were put up from there...a 42 inch Muskie, a 31 inch channel catfish, and two walleyes of 31.5 and 32 inches...not too shabby...and oh yeah...I had the procedure while I was there...no big deal...

signed zwoman

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
HAven't made it down this year, but did fish Trinidad last year on one occasion. We boated 8 walleye...no mosters though...largest was about 21inches.

We caught a BUNCH of those pesky little trout, and a couple of larger pesky little trout (about 16-18")...they wouldn't leave my crankbaits alone!

We found stickbaits and shadrap RSA-7s to be the winners for us.

Trolling all the obvious areas, secondary points, dam, etc...

Really a beautiful fishery with lots of quality fish and variety! Hey....I think it's time for ME to go down there again too! :eek:

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey, it just occurred to me. Trinidad is back at 800 acres-last couple of years its gotten down around 550 to 600. So there should be some decent flooded brush with the water back up. Ed

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
are there any crappie in this lake if there is some flooded timber it could be a nice crappie spot if there in there?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
roadkill said:
are there any crappie in this lake if there is some flooded timber it could be a nice crappie spot if there in there?
Yes there are crappie... let me know how you do. :p

·
Registered
943 Posts
hey epic do you stay up all night on the computer or what? your posts are usually very eraly in the morning?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i dont think he sleeps didnt you see the X-files show bout them x-mil guys that didnt sleep...lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts