Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do I start? I started fly fishing last spring and love it, started bass fishing the summer before that and love it, and now, in the middle of winter, I want to learn to ice fish. So, where does one start? I have a feeling that this is not the type of fishing that you just head out and do on your own. I don't know anyone who ice fishes. Does anyone have advice? If I am starting with nothing and want to hit the ice what do I need? Tactics will come later but I can't get out there without gear.

Anyone?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A guy from the gym was saying he has ice fished a few times. I think I have a distant uncle or something who ice fishes. Maybe I track him down? It shouldn't be this difficult. I just want to sit on a frozen lake and wait for hits all day.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Go to Evergreen with a short rod, some trout magnets and salmon eggs. Find used holes, re-punch with spud if necessary, and have fun.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Lot's of guys on here out all the time, post in the find a partner section. It can be very expensive to get into, rods, reels, tackle, sleds, huts, heaters, electronics. All of that is not necessary but it can be the difference between just going ice fishing and really enjoying it. I bought a hut last year and it has saved the day more than a few times already

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Some good advice above from Opry on Evergreen lake and flyfishgeek on gear.

But I'll ad it can be as expensive or cheap as you choose. Really all you need is an ice rod, an auger and some small jigs and kastmasters. Sub $200.00, or you can get all into it with $500.00 flashers, hut's, sleds, heaters and gas augers.. multiple $1000.00's.

Get a cheap ice rod and the lures, plus a metal bar as Opry said and give Evergreen a shot and see if you like it, then move on to being a gear whore from there if it floats your boat.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lot's of guys on here out all the time, post in the find a partner section. It can be very expensive to get into, rods, reels, tackle, sleds, huts, heaters, electronics. All of that is not necessary but it can be the difference between just going ice fishing and really enjoying it. I bought a hut last year and it has saved the day more than a few times already
I would post in the find a partner section but I am not sure I want all of the baggage that come with it. Mainly the unwanted sexual advances and heavy breathing on my neck while we spoon. I understand we have to keep warm ice fishing but I am not convinced that is a spare rod in your pocket, bro.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
If you show up at a lake...someone will drill you a hole...Don't even need an ice rod to start..As a kid, I used the same rods that I used for open water..just had to stand a bit further away from the hole.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I def. suggest going with someone who has all the gear to see if you like it before you commit!! Other than that I would suggest starting here:

http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/10-colorado-ice-fishing/45619-what-do-if-you-fall-through-ice.html

and then here:

http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/10-colorado-ice-fishing/24807-items-needed-ice-fishing.html
haha. I have done the polar plunge at Evergreen before. That is where they cut a hole in the ice and you jump in it.* You will never be prepared to fall in the ice unless you have done it before, that is the only thing I can assure you of!

*Cool story: My ex "talked" me into doing it. By "talked" I mean we made a deal and I had to fulfill my end. Her end involved about an hour of "me" time. Basically, she told me she'd blow me for an hour if I did the polar plunge and she did so I did. Is that not a cool story?

Sorry about that... Back to ice fishing...

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
I would post in the find a partner section but I am not sure I want all of the baggage that come with it. Mainly the unwanted sexual advances and heavy breathing on my neck while we spoon. I understand we have to keep warm ice fishing but I am not convinced that is a spare rod in your pocket, bro.
NEVER ice fish alone, it's a safety thing. Going with someone who knows the ropes includes safety ( OR IT SHOULD!!! )

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
haha. I have done the polar plunge at Evergreen before. That is where they cut a hole in the ice and you jump in it.* You will never be prepared to fall in the ice unless you have done it before, that is the only thing I can assure you of!

*Cool story: My ex "talked" me into doing it. By "talked" I mean we made a deal and I had to fulfill my end. Her end involved about an hour of "me" time. Basically, she told me she'd blow me for an hour if I did the polar plunge and she did so I did. Is that not a cool story?

Sorry about that... Back to ice fishing...
Certainly a creative way to overcome the "shrinkage" that would be experienced from a polar plunge!

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
NEVER ice fish alone, it's a safety thing. Going with someone who knows the ropes includes safety ( OR IT SHOULD!!! )
Hmmmm....... I ice fish alone sometimes LOL

Maybe not the safest practice but can be safe if you are aware of the conditions and always prepare for the worst. Besides how many times in colorado are you really able to fish "alone"? (Unless you are fishing high alt. lakes)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Certainly a creative way to overcome the "shrinkage" that would be experienced from a polar plunge!
Oh no, I took payment up front. If I wanted her to fulfill her end of the deal afterward it would have been around a week later when the frightened little fellow finally decided to show himself again. I can't blame him. It was about as cold as it gets.

I cannot explain how cold that water was. I basically felt all of the air in my lungs exit my body and it was not by choice. Hard to explain. I think everyone should do it once. If you are ice fishing it is probably an even better idea to do it so you know that you are playing with legit fire on that ice. The cold rush is impossible to explain. It is pretty intense!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
If you know of a lake that always has a few fisherman on it go there and observe, ask questions. You are more likely to get some solid info doing that then asking on a forum. On your way stop at a store buy a cheap ice rod ($10) put one of the reels you have at home on it. Get some small jig heads and a tub of mealies and your set. Theres days where I walk out on the ice with one rod, a bucket, and some bait and catch all the fish I can stand!

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Begin by Catch a bunch of dinks at Georgetown, officers gulch and willow creek. Re punch holes with a spud or use a hand auger. Gain enough experience points slaying stickers until you get to level 3 ice fisherman... Go to the tackle store with the GP you will acquire from dead stockers and brooks to upgrade your Aresnal. If you go to the village of berthoud, the tackle smith there crafts weapons that can help raise your fish attack points for a fair price. Otherwise the tackle smith stores in the kingdom of grand county can help you as well. Once you are equipped with 2-3 inch white tube jigs and jig heads, journey over to the hunting ground at green mountain reservoir and battle 10-20 inch lake trout for 30 Exp a piece, until you reach ice fisherman level 11 or 12. From there you will know if you enjoy the hobby or not. Beware of the occasional boss lake trout that might battle you. Be sure to cast a defense spell by using the right combination of flourocarbon and drag. If you lose, save your game and try again.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you know of a lake that always has a few fisherman on it go there and observe, ask questions. You are more likely to get some solid info doing that then asking on a forum. On your way stop at a store buy a cheap ice rod ($10) put one of the reels you have at home on it. Get some small jig heads and a tub of mealies and your set. Theres days where I walk out on the ice with one rod, a bucket, and some bait and catch all the fish I can stand!
See, I am in Denver. The nearest lake I can think of is Georgetown or Evergreen. I can't really imagine driving 45 minutes just to wander out onto the ice and start talking to people. I may get a rod though. I will never do this if I don't start somewhere.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Begin by Catch a bunch of dinks at Georgetown, officers gulch and willow creek. Re punch holes with a spud or use a hand auger. Gain enough experience points slaying stickers until you get to level 3 ice fisherman... Go to the tackle store with the GP you will acquire from dead stockers and brooks to upgrade your Aresnal. If you go to the village of berthoud, the tackle smith there crafts weapons that can help raise your fish attack points for a fair price. Otherwise the tackle smith stores in the kingdom of grand county can help you as well. Once you are equipped with 2-3 inch white tube jigs and jig heads, journey over to the hunting ground at green mountain reservoir and battle 10-20 inch lake trout for 30 Exp a piece, until you reach ice fisherman level 11 or 12. From there you will know if you enjoy the hobby or not. Beware of the occasional boss lake trout that might battle you. Be sure to cast a defense spell by using the right combination of flourocarbon and drag. If you lose, save your game and try again.
Finally a guy that speaks my language!

As I put on my robe and wizard hat...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts