Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
And if my response makes you mad...

Just get a hand auger and go to a lake like Barbour ponds, georgetown, etc. use smaller ice rods you can get at Walmart. Put on 4-6 lb test and use small teardrop jigs with wax worms in like 6-10 feet of water. If you like ice fishing enoigh to do it a few more times... A fl8 vex is highly recommended. Especially if you wanna up the stakes and fish for lake trout.

It's not that expensive if you keep it simple. The most expensive part is a vex... Then an auger. Good luck.

If you are serious... I'll be out at williams fork on Sunday with my son. I'll be more than happy to show you, even though I'm not the best fisherman by any stretch.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
See, I am in Denver. The nearest lake I can think of is Georgetown or Evergreen. I can't really imagine driving 45 minutes just to wander out onto the ice and start talking to people. I may get a rod though. I will never do this if I don't start somewhere.
Cherry Creek, Chatfield, Aurora, or one of the other popular lakes in and around Denver! You have plenty of options!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
get on the looking for partner section and post on a wednesday for the weekend or when ever your free. you could carpool up or meet at the lake and then off you go ice fishing. some people have larger huts to accomodate more people on the ice so its more of a social thing.
a decent rod at sportsmans is $20.oo and you can use one of your open water reels on it. small jigs, ratso's and kastmasters is a good lure start. you should be able to catch everything from perch to panfish to walleye and trout etc on those lures there.
an auger is inexpensive if you cl it and get a manual.
or you can go up on a sunny day weekend mid day and pirate old empty holes left by people before you. usually there are a few, ie 11mile and antero people leave by noon and leave dozens of holes.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Hmmmm....... I ice fish alone sometimes LOL

Maybe not the safest practice but can be safe if you are aware of the conditions and always prepare for the worst. Besides how many times in colorado are you really able to fish "alone"? (Unless you are fishing high alt. lakes)
Yeah, oftentimes I fish alone too...If I didn't there would be many times that I couldn't go fishing...but..I tend to stay away from sketch ice..been through once..don't want to do it again.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
My advice on never fishing alone is for newb's, they don't know ice or how to read it and are more likely to get into trouble. I have been through the ice more than once, one time could have be bad if I was alone.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Yeah, I wasn't quite alone when I went through the ice...had my dog with me. But, unlike Lassie, she just stood on the edge of the hole and barked rather than running for help.

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
You know there is a tourney there on Saturday right?

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
RENT AN ICE FISHING KIT FOR FREE AT STAGECOACH STATE PARK

OAK CREEK, Colo. - Fishing remains one of Colorado's most popular of all outdoor warm-weather activities; however, according to Colorado Parks and Wildlife managers, a growing number of people are heading out over the state's iced-over reservoirs and lakes each winter to try their hand at ice fishing.

To help introduce aspiring ice anglers to the joys of catching fish over frozen water, Stagecoach State Park is offering the free rental of ice fishing kits to anyone that wants a to see what the fuss is all about.

"Like many other outdoor activities, you want to be sure you have the right gear," said Park Manager Craig Preston. "This is a great deal for anyone that may have thought about ice fishing but is not sure about investing in all of the proper equipment just yet."

Made possible with a grant through the Foundation for Colorado State Parks, the kits include the basic equipment necessary to get started, including two rods designed for ice fishing, tackle, an ice scoop and an ice auger upon request.

"I'm sure that once people try it, they will probably head out and get their own gear," said Preston. "It really is a lot of fun, especially when you share the experience with friends and family."

To take advantage of the opportunity, head to the park's office during regular business hours. Renters must possess a valid Colorado fishing license. All equipment must be used at the park and returned at the end of the day.

"Don't let a little cold weather keep you from enjoying our state parks to the fullest," said Preston.

CPW reminds everyone that whenever venturing onto ice, use caution, bring a partner and always drill test holes to determine ice thickness. Each angler should also wear a life jacket and carry ice picks, 50 feet of rope and bring a cell phone. Stay away from cracks, pressure ridges and slushy or darker areas that signify thinner ice.

To learn more about ice fishing and safety,visit www.cpw.state.co.us/learn/Pages/IceFishingSafety.aspx

21 - 29 of 29 Posts