Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw these "Ika's" with the regular senkos and was wondering if anyone has fished with these? If so, how do you rig them and have you had much success with these plastics?

thanks,

Pondfisher

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I got a chance to try out these "ikas" today at a local pond..this is what I caught...pretty small but It feels good to knowing that these expensive plastics actually catch fish...

This fish tried to eat the same lure....overachiever....

I rigged it texas style and just fished it like a senko.  Perhaps a jig head hook would work...drag it along the bottome......just sharing.

Pondfisher

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
nice link but no mention of wacy style anyone tried that yet?

·
Registered
36 Posts
These are pretty decent baits. In my experience, it's nothing more than a solid-bodied tube jig. The Yamamoto variety might use a better manufacturing process (that might yield a lure with better action), but the end result is a tube jig that has a solid "tube" rather than hollow.

About 4 months ago I would've said I preferred this bait to the standard tube jig due to various hookset/rigging problems I was having with the hollow tube (tube would slide down the hook, fail to penetrate the plastic, etc.). However, once I got a better quality hook and started employing a touch of super glue here and there, the hollow tubes work just fine now. They're also cheaper and will emit tiny bubbles when they hit trees/plants/rocks under the water. Typically I just texas rig it -- they're great for flipping/pitching heavy cover as they have a skinnier profile than the standard jig'n'pig.

I've found the Yamamoto baits to be great (anything they make) -- but they are very soft and tear pretty easily. Somebody used to make this mini soldering-iron like thing for repairing plastics but I can't find it anymore.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts