Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i heard someone say you could cut a slit into the midle of a 5 gallon bucket lid and paint it black and just slide it over the hole and it would keep it ice free with just a little sun anybody tried this sounds like it shure would beet scooping slush all day

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
With an ice scoop?

·
Banned
487 Posts
I know some company makes a small, battery powered floating disk to keep holes ice free. I forget what the name is though.

I just have to keep scooping the holes every minute or so when fishing colder places like Taylor Park.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't use a shelter. i like the sun and view. anyway i use a 10" aluminum pie plate with a slot cut in it and a circle hole cut in the center,painted flat black. its amazing how it keeps the ice out of the hole. i hate scooping ice all the time. when you hook a fish just grab the plate and get it off and you are good to go. as long ass the sun is out it works real well. if the sun isn't out they still work because the water under it is above freezing so it traps the little heat that is there and works. but you still have to scoop every once in a while.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
black pie plates sound like more fun to source. i think i will start with apple pie and a little icecream i have to i need ice fishing hole covers

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Ice fishing lower elevations primarily I usually don't have too much of a problem with ice. It usually sunny enough or if its not I am in my shelter and as long as its not down in the 20's or less and no wind. It very manageble to just skim every so often.

Dan

I wish I could say that when you catch fish as fast as i do it never has a chance to freeze up with all the fish coming through the hole.! :mad:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have styrofoam squares with a slit down the middle that I slide under tip ups and they work good. If it is really cold I pile snow up on top of the styrofoam and it insulates better. For jigging you can fill a small coffee can with charcoal and set it next to the hole your jigging and it will keep the ice from forming.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'd think there would be something that could be sprayed in an ice hole to keep it from iceing really fast but rarely is this a huge problem. Has anyone tried greasing there guides so they don't freeze up?

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
My Americans have gotten really lazy if keeping ice from a hole is a chore...attach an old fishing rod to your skimmer or telescoping handle with duct tape to your skimmer...then you dont have to even bend forward in your chair or can skim lefthanded while you continue to jig a lure...but you will have to put down your beer to jig and skim at the same time!...YikeZ!!

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
zman said:
My Americans have gotten really lazy if keeping ice from a hole is a chore...attach an old fishing rod to your skimmer or telescoping handle with duct tape to your skimmer...then you dont have to even bend forward in your chair or can skim lefthanded while you continue to jig a lure...but you will have to put down your beer to jig and skim at the same time!...YikeZ!!
Americans are becoming some of the laziest people in the world. When something bad happens instead of picking themselves up. They wait for the TV cameras to come around and scream they need to be rescued rather than trying to help themselves. (I won't even mention the fact they were told to leave before this all happened any way)

Oops another topic buster, My bad.

Dan

1 - 20 of 37 Posts