1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Connect your line/leader to your spoon?

- Directly to spoon, no O-ring
- To an O-Ring connected to the spoon
- To a snap swivel connected directly the spoon.
- To a snap swivel connected to an O-ring on the spoon

Some spoons come with o-rings attached, some come with them shipped loose and some come void of any O-rings.

·
Registered
16,616 Posts
I used to add o-rings to spoons that didnt have them and tie directly to the oring. Nowadays I use a duo-lock snap on the end of my line. If the spoon has an o-ring, I hook the duo-lock to it. If no o-ring still fine.

I connect the leader to the braid with a barrel swivel so no line twist.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used to add o-rings to spoons that didnt have them and tie directly to the oring. Nowadays I use a duo-lock snap on the end of my line. If the spoon has an o-ring, I hook the duo-lock to it. If no o-ring still fine.

Tearing my fingers up with o-rings this weekend is what drove me to asking this question. I got the answer I was looking for from the source I was hoping to. Thanks Mike!

I have never given the duo lock a shot, may need to try them out. I too use a braid, with a fluoro leader.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

the barrell swivel doesnt affect the action of your spoon?

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
I have read plenty about the negative effect of swivels. But I use them regardless because it makes life easier.

It is good to see that I am in the same line of thought with people who fish (and catch) much more than I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Touche.
I've thought about a barrel swivel but figured it would mess up my guides
This is what happens to me. No matter how many times I remind myself not to I reel in to far and knock out the insert. Have a new tip for one of my St.Croix rods in the mail. 5 bucks for the kit. Glue, tip , instructions. Shipping included.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
No Barrel swivels in my line.
I go braid to mono or floro with a Tony penya double uni or FG knot.
That gives you the option of using longer leaders that don't interfere with guides or casting

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
This is what happens to me. No matter how many times I remind myself not to I reel in to far and knock out the insert. Have a new tip for one of my St.Croix rods in the mail. 5 bucks for the kit. Glue, tip , instructions. Shipping included.
Take a bead (larger than your rod tip) and add it to your braided line in front of the swivel, that will protect your rod tip.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts

THIS!!!

Also, if you don't have this tool, get it! I think they have em at walmart as well

https://www.amazon.com/Mustad-Braid-Cutter-Pliers-5-Inch/dp/B00BE4T638/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1522342867&sr=8-2&keywords=kvd+split+ring+pliers

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
For all of you that haven't figured out a braid to leader knot that works yet....learn this one.

Spro power swivel is the only one to use if you must, its almost undetectable.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For all of you that haven't figured out a braid to leader knot that works yet....learn this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNuKHycbnG4

Spro power swivel is the only one to use if you must, its almost undetectable.

Good stuff; there was another good video from that link that used large size line and a black back drop that provided a clear visual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts