Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a theory that fishing is slow for a few days after a rain storm since a lot of food (bugs) gets knocked into the water and fish are well fed. Any experience out there to confirm or contest this theory? Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I've done good right before a rain storm, during the rain, and after the rain. But I've also done bad under those same situations. I just think some days the fishing is good some days the fishing is bad.

·
Registered
16,650 Posts
I kinda agree with epic that it all depends.Although the big pike and trout seem to turn on before a thunderstorm in 11-mile or spinney 95% of the time.Just a personal observation.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I think that it really doesn't make a difference either unless there is a lot of water falling that might change the water temp slightly.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your responses. I respect your observations. Maybe I am all wet on this. roadkill what a great experiment!
Gotmuskie?, can you tell how to learn about the water temp and how it affects the fish feeding?

·
Banned
487 Posts
Right before a storm hits is the best time to fish all species, year round. Usually after the storm passes though the fishing is slow for a few days. However sometimes when it's really hot fishing can be better after a cool rain.
Fishing during light rain or light wind is better than clear calm conditions. However a hard pelting rain or wind that creates wakes puts fish down and makes it harder to present your bait properly.
The best ice fishing, especially for lakers, is almost always during a snowstorm. I have had my best laker fishing in downright blizzard conditions.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'll second that, Ice. When the snow starts coming down, we always seem to do real well. Rain, however, seems to be feast or famine... and wet! ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts