Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my own fly reel and rod(Just cheapies though). Just need to know if its fairly easy to fly fish. I can get some fly fishing line but dont know what to do when I go fishing? Any input on this would be appreciated and wondering if any of you ever tought yourself how to fly fish. Also, any techniques on how you fly fish would also be great. Thanks for reading! Craig.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
It would be some what difficult. You should try to get lessons or have a mentor to begin with and then fine tune the techniques on your own. A friend of mine tried to learn on his own and became dicouraged after about 5 attempts. I took him out and showed him the basics and he became an avid flyfisherman. You may want to check into classes.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I taught myself how to fly fish... well some may not call it fly fishing. The cast is by far the trickiest part, dont make it to fast and dont make it to slow. When back casting dont rush it, thats what I mainly did when I started... kind of made a bullwhip sound, lost a couple flies doing that. Learning on the river or stream is easier then a lake. The best thing to do is dead drift the fly in the current, cast upstream of where you think the fish is pull in most of your slack once you move the fly stop pulling. Then as the fly drifts closer to you pull in a little more slack and when the fish hits lift your rod and to set the hook. Sounds easy huh?
Other things, add backing to your reel before adding fly line, then make sure your leader is on good. Kind of a casting technique that has helped me is when I hold the rod I place my pointer finger along the shaft and that way when I'm casting I can just point to where I want the fly to go, usually works within + or - 2 feet. :p

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i taught my self the first thing is to learn to cast a bit then learn to catch fish that way as for casting i would want to beable to cast about 30' for starters you can gain distance later

for me i started in my front yard on some grass(so you dont damage the line)

one of the most important things when casting is that you move your rod generealy forward and back while holding the rod roughly vertical with only a slight tilt either way you do not want to have the rod pivot in an arc around your wrist
the motion/positon cycle goes some what like this
start with the rod tilted slightly forward (10-11 O'clock position) and your arm extended somewhat infront of you and the line layed out infront of you then in a single fluid motion pull your wrist back to your shoulder and tilt the rod back to about a 1 O'clock position with enough speed and force that after you stop moving the rod the line continues behind you and strieghtens out after the line has strieghtened but before it falls to the ground push your hand forward and tilt the rod back to the 10-11 O'clock position with enough speed and force to send the line out strieght in front of you
this is the basic cycle if you are holding the line in your non rod hand you can feel the force on the line and towards the end of the forward or back cast you can let a little line slide thru your fingers to gain a little distance with each false cast (when you just send the line out but dont let it hit the ground)

when you have made a forward cast that is long enough and is on target you can lower your rod and let the line settle on the water
ideally you want the line and leader to completely go forward and strieghten out just a foot or so above the water and then just settle down lightly

you must let the line strieghting out in front or behind you before moving the rod for the next cast if you start it before the line strieghtens you will get the bullwhip crack and mostlikly lose your fly

to start practicing you dont need a leader or fly just start with a fly line that is matched to the rod(should be marked on the rod) when you get to the point you are making good casts with no bull whip cracks then its time to add a leader and fly and head to the water

you might pick up a book on fly fishing even from just walmart it will have some pictures showing something similar to what i have tried to explain

once you get to where you are getting a basic cast you can check out some of these tips and tricks

http://www.onemorecast.com/tt_fly_casting.htm

but if you have the chance to fish with a profficent fly caster they can bring you along quite fast and then spend some time practicing

good luck hope this wasnt too long winded

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
yeah while it is possible to teach your self any outside help can greatly speed the process along

·
Registered
213 Posts
I really want to learn to flyfish and I've heard it can be easy and hard. The concept is easy, I've somewhat done it on a spinning rig which I know is not the same as flyfishing but the general idea. Its one of those things where it would be nice to do either spin casting or flyfishing depending on the situation your in and that way I can feel better about myself being able to do either.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Craig N,

Fly fishing is one of the more enjoyable ways to fish, but it can also be one of the more frustrating things too. When you learn on your own you're doomed to many hours of tangled lines, snagged hooks, and no fish. While you can learn on your own, I highly recommend taking a class, workshop, or hiring a guide. This will take months or years off of your learning process and make fly fishing more enjoyable faster.

Not to toot my own horn, but check out my article in the September issue of Colorado Fisherman about my experience with hiring a guide ("Super Danny").

One thing to be wary of is being taught by a friend. Friends are rarely the best teachers, and rarely the best anglers. Sure, you can pick up some good pointers from friends, but don't rely on them as your primary way of learning. It's too easy to pick up bad habits from friends.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
roadkill said:
when you get to the point you are making good casts with no bull whip cracks then its time to add a leader and fly and head to the water
...and that is when you'll discover that there is a world of difference between practicing in the back yard, and casting with an actual hook tied on, because your back cast will now snag up on every tree and bush in the county. ;D ;D

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
oh yes the aggessive attacking bush they will chase you the rest of your flyfishing life but atleast you can learn how not to snap off your flies in mid air and as you get better you will learn to better avoid the bush monster

·
Registered
193 Posts
Been flyfishing 14 years self taught stuck a hare's ear in my ear Saturday morning so make sure you read up on how to take flies out of your ear lobes it may come in handy.......

Fish

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
it seams most agree that it can be done as several of us have done so our selves and we seam to agree that you can shorten the learning curve with some sort of instruction so id say give it a whorle and maybe grab a good book but if you have a chance take in a seminar or class but most importantly make sure you are haveing fun

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
flyfishcolorado said:
Been flyfishing 14 years self taught stuck a hare's ear in my ear Saturday morning so make sure you read up on how to take flies out of your ear lobes it may come in handy.......

Fish
YOu take them out? isnt that bad luck?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
might make a cool ear ring eh?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts