Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
10,699 Posts
I taught myself how to fly fish... well some may not call it fly fishing. The cast is by far the trickiest part, dont make it to fast and dont make it to slow. When back casting dont rush it, thats what I mainly did when I started... kind of made a bullwhip sound, lost a couple flies doing that. Learning on the river or stream is easier then a lake. The best thing to do is dead drift the fly in the current, cast upstream of where you think the fish is pull in most of your slack once you move the fly stop pulling. Then as the fly drifts closer to you pull in a little more slack and when the fish hits lift your rod and to set the hook. Sounds easy huh?
Other things, add backing to your reel before adding fly line, then make sure your leader is on good. Kind of a casting technique that has helped me is when I hold the rod I place my pointer finger along the shaft and that way when I'm casting I can just point to where I want the fly to go, usually works within + or - 2 feet. :p

· Premium Member
10,699 Posts

· Premium Member
10,699 Posts
flyfishcolorado said:
Been flyfishing 14 years self taught stuck a hare's ear in my ear Saturday morning so make sure you read up on how to take flies out of your ear lobes it may come in handy.......

Fish
YOu take them out? isnt that bad luck?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.