Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
LoL... We had a fish we called a skipjack (not really sure what kind of fish it is) growing up, and when we would drive the boat at night they would skip on the water infront of it and sometimes land in the boat... But there is an asian carp that is causeing alot of problems in the bigger lakes in the Northeast thats called the asian flying carp because it does the same thing, and has hit anglers while they hall butt across the lake.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I think skipjacks are related to shad. They are beautiful fish, with the scales on their sides such a bright silver color they flash like mirrors in the sun. I have caught hundreds of them, up to perhaps 2 lb., out of the Missouri River tributaries and they are loads of fun on ultralight tackle.

Here is a nice article about them:
http://espn.go.com/outdoors/tv/columns/sutton_keith/1422931.html

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
they might be fresh water mullet.  They will do that around light at night! But I have never heard of such large numbers jumping like that.

Dan

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
What did you get them on?...used a tennis racket and an overhand lob to knock them into the back of the boat!...

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
We do this all the time at Cherry Creek. Scary crap when a 6in shad jumps and hits a metal boat....DONK

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
294 Posts
There were some articals about Asian Carp being caught at Cherry Creek. Does anyone know if more have been caught?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts