Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think? Do you ice fish through Feb-March? I thought I remember posts last year saying Feb ice fishing sux. I've never iced before this year and wonder if I should stick with it or start thinking about area lakes already. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Depends what species you are targetting... Mackinaw will stay agressive all the way until after ice out so you should eb able to catch them all season. Rainbows will be moving into spawning mode so their bite will slow down but the browns will be capatalizing on the mackinaw hatch and preparing for the rainbow spawn.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Are you asking how long we will have safe ice for?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
depending on the lake and area and year, you can find safe ice until early april usually. I usually quit after mid march. Right about this time of year is when pike stop biting, so forget about them. Unless the place you are fishing is freshly iced over then you can target them. The best laker fishing is in march. Trout stay equally aggressive throughout the season, although first ice is the best. They aren't hard to catch though. Perch and other panfish are less aggressive now but can still easily be caught. I would primarily target lakers if I was you.

·
Registered
935 Posts
lakers are a good consistent choice. Action isn't always fast, but there's a good chance of catching something bigger than a stocker.

·
Registered
157 Posts
As far as safe ice, if it keeps going like this it may be over already for the front range and low lakes as far as the season goes :-[ .
those quick runs after work for a couple hours were nice while it lasted now its up to the high country.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm more interested in the bite. As long as the ice is good, is the bite usually good too, or is there a point where you're better off fishing open water if you can?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
AJ said:
I'm more interested in the bite.  As long as the ice is good, is the bite usually good too, or is there a point where you're better off fishing open water if you can?
Its mostly tempature driven... If fishing for rainbow trout I would fish for them threw the ice until they start moving into the streams for spawn. Mackinaw I would fish until the ice is gone.

·
Registered
217 Posts
AJ said:
What do you guys think? Do you ice fish through Feb-March?  I thought I remember posts last year saying Feb ice fishing sux.  I've never iced before this year and wonder if I should stick with it or start thinking about area lakes already.  Thanks!
I had my best three days last year over President's day weekend in Feb. Fished the last few inches of good ice on a Neb panhandle lake and smoked the panfish and northerns! It just depends where you fish, what you are fishing for, and (of course) how good the ice is!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Iced some nice lakers at Granby the last week of March last...my Spring Break...Fished on 18" of good ice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts