Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its early to talk about this. Maybe the cooler weather got me thinking about it. I've never winterized my boat. Not in 25+ years. I've caught largemouth and smallmouth in Dec, Jan and Feb. Walleye are even easier-if theres open water you can catch them in the middle of winter-its not even that hard. And of course theres trout-they're not my favorite fish but I target them a little in the winter-in rivers and lakes that don't freeze over.

How many on here fish right thru the winter? Coldest I've ever fished in it was 8 degrees on my outdoor temp gauge one morning in Feb at Pueblo.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I fish all year. Don't ya love it when you have to stop fishing because your tip is a ball of ice? ;D I'm lucky though. Lake Estes hardly ever freezes completly.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I fish 12 months a year also. During dec, jan, and feb I am almost strictly icefishing but I try to make it to the colorado once a month or so because that is when the really big cuttbows and bows can be easily caught if you know where to go.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I feel thru the ice at 11 Mile back in Jan '04-heven't ice fished since. :eek: It was pre dawn and we were walking out on the ice and I couldn't see there was a weak spot. I shot out of that hole I had so much adrenaline. Went back to the truck and warmed up. There were 3 of us and we fished all day and it was one of those days at 11 Mile where we only got like 3 bites and never hooked a fish. I gave all my ice fishing stuff to a friend later that winter. ;D

Now I just fish the open water-Pueblo hardly ever freezes unless its super cold. And Brush Hollow usually only freezes for about 6 wks.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i try to fish all year. all ready plannig for ice fishing. got out my ice rods and restung them dusted off the shelter and sharpened the blades on my auger. got to do some thing in the rain

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
i fish almost 12 months a year but that just because the last few years we havent had a winter

last year was the first one that we had snow on the ground that stayed a few days

·
Registered
472 Posts
I started fishing year round in 2003 and made a personal goal of catching a quality fish for every month of the year.

Don't forget those tail-water sections...they can keep you casting through the coldest months and are about 1/4 as crowded as they are in summer.

Troutin' when its cold and bassin' when its warm...gotta love Colorado fishing cuz it just don't stop!

·
Registered
324 Posts
yea i cant wait to hit some open water this winter my buddy refuse's to fish during cold weather but thats his loss i haven't actually ice fished since i was a kid.

·
Registered
943 Posts
i fish all 12 months. ice fishing is my favorite becuse i can cover alot more water and most of the idiots dont like the cold.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I try to fish 12 months out of the year but sometimes it doesnt work out.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I used to ice fish when I lived in Minnesota. Standing out there shivering over that damn hole when it was 40 below and the wind was howling and the hole froze over every 15 seconds. (I didn't have a shelter.) I had to buy an extension shaft for my ice auger because the ice was more than 6 feet deep. No lie! You could drive a locomotive over that ice and it wouldn't crack.

One day I told myself that same line that you usually say when you wake up with a hangover. "I am never, never going to do that again." And this time it stuck, and I never went ice fishing again. And I have never missed it, either.

Let's hear it for fair-weather fishing! You wanta go out there and freeze your $&[email protected] off, you can have my spot, and more power to you!

W. E.

·
Banned
487 Posts
I fish 12 months a year. In fact winter is probably my favorite and most productive time to fish except for bass, catfish, and pike. Trout of all kinds, walleye, and panfish of all kinds bite right on through the winter with pike, bass, and cats sometimes caught.
Overall though the best fishing month I think is October.

T

·
0 Posts
Never ice fish. Will definitely head out to Rifle Gap to do some ice fishing. I heard the ice fishing there is pretty good.

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
I would fish 13 months a year if it were possible!Coldest I've seen in my boat was 18 degrees at granby(3 separate times),and 19 deg. at Lake Minitare in nebraska.Love ice fishing,11-mile is killer! Drove to Rifle Gap 3 times last year on 1 day trips to ice fish. Round trip of 450 miles!I love fishing whatever,wherever,the nastier the weather the better!Keeps the wimpy guys away-Later

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
11 months. I fish Spinney hard in October and November. Best fishing of the year!!!! Since they drained Antero, I don't start icefishing till January.

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
December is the best time to ice-fish,IMO.Early ice is best ice!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I agree Slayer! But I take my two young sons with me, so i take no chances as far as thickness goes! To bad we don't have Antero :'( Ice always set up early there!.

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
Yeah,I fished antero as early as Nov 17 th one year.Thing is you dont have to go out very far to ice fish.Then again,I can handle 3 inches minimum.

·
Registered
296 Posts
fish around 250 days a year you are right early ice is awesome ice fishing is the best TJMHO ice out is great to

1 - 20 of 45 Posts