Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In years past I would always fish the standard dry fly and nymphs patterns with good success. Then 4 years ago I started fishing with a buddy who fished almost exclusivley streamers and could not believe the size difference in the fish he was catching. I would usually catch more fish, but almost always he would end up catching the bigger fish. I have since become more of a streamer fisherman and wondered how many of you fish streamers regularly?

If you have never fished streamers before, I would strongly suggest you give it a shot. The strikes are unreal and nothing like the suttle movement of your indicator!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I do in lakes and on some streams...and have caught bigger fish on them, especially browns. i know ive caught some that i wouldnt have otherwise enticed with a more traditional dry or nymph presentation...so it does work.

i usually dont fish it in areas that are crowded or with buddies...dragging streamers through a hole or run can cause the fish to spook and the hole to be unfishable for a short time..so its something i usually do alone or on bigger water. on lakes....its a favorite and can regulary produce fish if you do it right.

so yeah...i like streamers.....

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I get so irritated at the fish in 11 Mile who won't take a perfectly good dry imitation or nymph that I'm going to get back at them. I'm making up some really obnoxious wooly buggers in bright colors like chartreuse and day glo orange, with a lot of krystal flash and flashabou. To top it all off, I'm going to put propellers on them to get some lateral line stimulation going. No longer can they rest quietly in their pools in the Canyon, laughing at me. I'm gonna swim my super buggers in front, to the side and all around Mr. Trout until he gets so irritated that he bites out of aggression.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
silicone boy said:
I get so irritated at the fish in 11 Mile who won't take a perfectly good dry imitation or nymph that I'm going to get back at them. I'm making up some really obnoxious wooly buggers in bright colors like chartreuse and day glo orange, with a lot of krystal flash and flashabou. To top it all off, I'm going to put propellers on them to get some lateral line stimulation going. No longer can they rest quietly in their pools in the Canyon, laughing at me. I'm gonna swim my super buggers in front, to the side and all around Mr. Trout until he gets so irritated that he bites out of aggression.
If you're going to do all that, why not just switch to a nice ultralight spinning rod and really clean up on those rascals.
:)

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
If you're going to do all that, why not just switch to a nice ultralight spinning rod and really clean up on those rascals.
:)

How dare you suggest i taint my hands with the likes of a spinning rod....for shame...

yeah right...we all know ill fish with anything that has line and hooks on it...if i cant get my hands on a flyrod, that is ;)

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Rottal said:
How dare you suggest i taint my hands with the likes of a spinning rod....for shame...
Never would I seek to besmirch the piscatorial purity of the forum's best fly fisherman! Heaven forbid!

It's just that Silicone Boy's description of the flies he wanted to make reminded me of these:

These are made in-house at Discount Fishing Tackle in Ft. Collins. They have been chewed up a little by trout, so they are not quite up to their original condition.

While one might not want to meet one of these in a dark alley, they do catch trout. Nice big ones. And I can cast them on my ultralight without a bubble if I stick to 2 lb. test line....

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
those looks like a variation of the tried and true Pistol Pete....a fish producer if there ever was one. ive seen those work when all of my "custom" ties didnt do anything but spook fish...

as far as your "best fly fisherman" comment...i think i sense a bit of sarcasm...but i can live with that ;)

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Your sarcasm detector is turned up too high, I was being sort of humorous but I think the ranking is still correct.

People tend to say "Pistol Pete" every time they see any fly with a propellor on it. Maybe so, I'm no expert for sure, but all the real Pistol Petes I have seen were small, like normal trout prey, and these babies are sized more like hand-to-hand combat.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts

Actually, I do carry a second (telescoping) 4 1/2 foot ultralight with me. I have to hide it from the fly fisherman, but I do clean up with it when all else fails. I also have to hide my collection of pistol petes because everyone I fish with makes fun of me for using them. The last time I went to 11 Mile, I pulled out my spinning rod and spinner combo and my bro' said "are you using a spinning rod?!!" ...as if it were a crime. Just as I was pointing out to him that it was a flies AND lures section, I got our first and only fish of the day.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It sure is kind of funny when you mention "spin fishing" to a routine fly fisherman. Like most when I was younger I use to fish with lures all the time, but as I got older I wanted to try something different. I have nothing against spin fisherman, but there definately seems to be some kind of tension between the two. Why is that?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Sure beats me. I just know that my fly fishing personality and my spin fishing personality are always at each other's throats. ;D

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
'Cause they dont like gettin' schooled by the beer-drinkin bait dunkers! ;D Actually I fish a lot of streamers-usually on a spinning rod.It's a lot easier to fish deep current with mono and splitshot. Muddlers have been my go-to pattern lately. Me and my bro are ice-fishing Boysen in Wyoming on the 14-16th of January. Unless the ice fishing is non-stop we plan on throwing muddlers on the Wind river below Boysen dam. Big,deep, brawling tailwater that just begs for a fat streamer!

N

·
0 Posts
I know I sure do. Not this time of year, but in the spring and summer for sure. In fall and early spring I will often throw a streamer behind an egg, absolutely deadly during spawing times. I like them all, fat ones and skinny ones. Plus they are a blast to tie. A streamer in the morning right in the shady spot underneath that huge tree, just before the sun hits the water, has produced me some hogs. Nothing like seeing that violent swirl right behind your fly. I have had some fish hit so violently they just rip the fly right off my tippet, nothing I could do. Love dem streamers.

N

·
0 Posts
'Cause they dont like gettin' schooled by the beer-drinkin bait dunkers! 
Just cause I got a flyrod in my hand doesn't mean I don't carry a duece-duece in my gear bag. And I know what your thinking, and no, its not an import ;D

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah Slayer I agree with you about the Muddler Minnow, but the only thing I've noticed is the deer hair causes the pattern ride higher in the water. Oh well that's what lead and tungsten cones are for!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
As most fisherman started fly fishing for trout, I was the opposite. I first started fly fishing for pike, bass, carp and all the other warm water species which tend to prefer streamer like presentations. Eventually, I just got sick of making 1,000 double-haul casts a day with flies big enough to cast with conventional gear. I have found some relaxation in the split/indicator rig for trout. Every now and then though, my fly fishing roots show there true colors and I bust out the streamer rod on the trout streams.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts