Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
silicone boy said:
I get so irritated at the fish in 11 Mile who won't take a perfectly good dry imitation or nymph that I'm going to get back at them. I'm making up some really obnoxious wooly buggers in bright colors like chartreuse and day glo orange, with a lot of krystal flash and flashabou. To top it all off, I'm going to put propellers on them to get some lateral line stimulation going. No longer can they rest quietly in their pools in the Canyon, laughing at me. I'm gonna swim my super buggers in front, to the side and all around Mr. Trout until he gets so irritated that he bites out of aggression.
If you're going to do all that, why not just switch to a nice ultralight spinning rod and really clean up on those rascals.
:)

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Rottal said:
How dare you suggest i taint my hands with the likes of a spinning rod....for shame...
Never would I seek to besmirch the piscatorial purity of the forum's best fly fisherman! Heaven forbid!

It's just that Silicone Boy's description of the flies he wanted to make reminded me of these:

These are made in-house at Discount Fishing Tackle in Ft. Collins. They have been chewed up a little by trout, so they are not quite up to their original condition.

While one might not want to meet one of these in a dark alley, they do catch trout. Nice big ones. And I can cast them on my ultralight without a bubble if I stick to 2 lb. test line....

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Your sarcasm detector is turned up too high, I was being sort of humorous but I think the ranking is still correct.

People tend to say "Pistol Pete" every time they see any fly with a propellor on it. Maybe so, I'm no expert for sure, but all the real Pistol Petes I have seen were small, like normal trout prey, and these babies are sized more like hand-to-hand combat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.