Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many lures have you lost at Chatfield?

I was fishing the Chatfield dam on Monday night and lost 6 lures in the rocks. Now that I think about it, everytime I fish the dam I probably loose a couple of lures. I wonder how many of my Rapalas and X raps are sitting by the dam. Some of my lures come straight out of the box and first cast get stuck. I wonder how much money I have wasted over at Chatfield?

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Re: How many lures have you lost at Chatfield?

i lost a rattlin rapala and a another crank, not so bad cuz all my lures are shallow runners.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts

Mr. Ed said:
Hmmmm. I think I need to get some diving equipment. ;D
I dunno. Have you ever done a dive in freshwater? I have and you can see about 2-3 feet in front of you if you are lucky. I just don't like the idea of feeling around blindly when there are lures with treble hooks scattered about... ;)

·
Registered
6,797 Posts

work2fish said:
Mr. Ed said:
Hmmmm.  I think I need to get some diving equipment.  ;D
I dunno.  Have you ever done a dive in freshwater?  I have and you can see about 2-3 feet in front of you if you are lucky.  I just don't like the idea of feeling around blindly when there are lures with treble hooks scattered about...  ;)
LOL 2-3 FEET, man what i would have given to have great vis like that chasing lobster in southern cal

·
Registered
769 Posts

Can easily say that I have left dozens of cranks in the rocks at Chatfield. Most of the time they will
let go and I am able to get them back. Once in awhile the snag is just too tough and the lure is gone for good. Maybe an average of about 3 lures every time I spend the day throwing crankbaits
to the dam.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts

I just bought a lure retriever at BPS. It is a 15 ft telescoping pole with a cork screw at the end. Been waiting to try it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Since I'm boatless I walk the dam tossing jigs, which thankfully are fairly cheap. Sometimes I wonder why I bother tying them to the line at all, since I've yet to catch a fish at chatty I could accomplish the same result simply driving past the lake and tossing a dozen jigs out the window...

·
Registered
6,797 Posts

AKwanderer said:
Since I'm boatless I walk the dam tossing jigs, which thankfully are fairly cheap.  Sometimes I wonder why I bother tying them to the line at all, since I've yet to catch a fish at chatty I could accomplish the same result simply driving past the lake and tossing a dozen jigs out the window...
yes but that wouldn't be as much fun, but if you must you could always drive by my house and throw a dozen jigs out the window

·
Registered
128 Posts

I dont think I have lost to many but I have been lucky enough to pull out lures others have lost. Check out my last post (Does this count as not gettting skunked). Should change my name to lure king..

·
Registered
833 Posts

When the smallies turn on go to tube jigs and swim them
by the dam. Your snags will be minimal. A 4 inch watermelon Senko rigged texas style and skin hooked
is a great snagless bait and they even hit it at night along the dam.

·
Registered
219 Posts

A couple years ago, during the worst of the drought, me and a buddy went below the dam and collected lures. We brought metal fence posts to help dislodge the big rocks. Between the two of us, we filled a 5 gallon bucket full of lures. Most were in pretty bad shape, though.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts

yeah but with a wipe down, u just found yourself a gold mine, note to self, if drought is bad go to Chatfiled and collect crankbaits.

·
Registered
227 Posts

a few years back my brother and I would dive Chatfield in the morning before the crazies would get going. On one memorable occasion we collecet 52 rapalas in fair to new condition in about one and a half hours. I hope to dive there in the next few week. I will post my bounty.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts

lol..i dont know if i would do that---people will start asking for thier lures back. ;)

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

ShaunSand said:
I hope to dive there in the next few week. I will post my bounty.
If you are interested I will pay you half price of retail value for any decent crankbaits you find.

·
Registered
227 Posts

Thanks for the offers, I will keep them in mind. I tend to loose my share and am always in need of restocking my tackle box.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts