Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Most of you know I am not a fly fisherman. But, I witnessed something really cool out "vamping" for eyes last week.

I was invited night fishing for walleyes with a buddy of mine (location to be kept top secret.:behindsofa:) and a friend of his. So after learning a few more tips about how not to kill myself on the rocks and still be able to target fish; we proceeded down to the water. Along the walk I noticed my buddy's friend was carrying only his fly rod :eek:. So, I jokingly asked him if he was going to wait until sun-up to try to fish and of course he chuckled and said he was going to try something "new"; catching his first ever walleye and at night on a fly.

Being an avid walleye guy back east; I already knew the challenges of nighttime walleye fishing with a spin rod and could only imagine the nightmare using a flyrod would be like.....

Well, the first few hours were simply entertaining as hell. I would hear the line whipping, followed by the occasional cuss word being whispered and a few moments of his red light flickering in the darkness(yes we were all quite with little to no lamp activity accept when moving or re-tying). Then it happened.....

He actually had his first strike. Of course he missed it. Again and again he would miss them. His cursing turned to laughter and the snagging of bushes and rocks was disappearing only to be replaced with opportunity after opportunity for fish.

He finally landed his first fish (a 5 lb channel cat) on a fly at night about half and hour before the wind and rain blew us off the lake.

While the rest of us had our share of action; he had the time of his life doing something I had never seen done or even attempted. It was fun for me to watch and listen to for sure.

How many of you have done or seen this? Please share...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Haha that is awesome. I've never done or seen this, heck I've never night fished. But after hearing that story I would like to give it a try. Sounds like you guys had a good time!.. I've got some big ugly streamers and a 6wt fly rod that hasn't been used in a while. I may have to dust it off and give this a shot sometime.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I haven't done it yet but I want to. Last fall I tried something somewhat similar. The lakers were in close and were hitting from shore so I tried my fly rod and a streamer while everyone else spinfished. I ended up getting my first laker ever and the only laker of the group that day.

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
I know of peeps catching brookies and even lakers at night on a fly rod.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I've caught stripers at Bullfrog when I could reach boils from my pontoon. I believe I was using either zonkers or big wooly buggers. Of course this was during the day around Stanton Creek. Granted the stripers weren't humongus but they (2-3 lbs) gave me no trouble on my 5wt flyrod. Normally I troll along the banks trying for smallmouth but just couldn't pass up the opportunity for a striper when I saw a boil not too far away from where I was fishing.

Not sure how doing it at night would work out but if I ever get back to Lake Powell I might just give it a try.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I don't do much night fishing any more but used to throw flies at the Delaneys and other locations and had some good results. The best night fishing I did was in the Florida Keys under a full moon. Bonefishing was remarkable while wading on the right white sand bottom as you could see their shadows easily. Keys bones are notorious for being large and very sensitive. You seldom see bones of less than 5 lbs there. It usually takes a long, delicate cast and careful presentation to be successful during the day. Night fishing is completely different. If you are quiet and stealthy, the bones often provide opportunities at 20' and, oddly enough, most of them are smaller fish of 2 - 4 lbs (Mexico size). This size is seldom, if ever, seen during the day. I've had nights where 15 or more bones were landed just wading from shore. Additionally, other and larger fish are on the move. If you are located near a jetty or bridge rip rap, some tarpon usually come out to play. One memorable fish of 100+ lbs took my fly and launched into the night air way above my head. Many "baby" tarps were caught. There are snook and other players that sometimes would participate. One drawback was that occasionally you'd notice "the man in the brown suit" hunting between your position and the beach. Having an obviously hungry shark larger than you blocking your access to safety will tend to put things into perspective. Thus far, they've moved away when I've slapped the water near their nose with the tip of the rod or thrown a handful of sand. Thus far......

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
The most common form of fly-fishing at night I am familiar with is during the hexagenia hatch in Michigan.

Pretty standard fare up there, match the hatch, listen for the slurps, then cast blind to them.

But fly-fishing at night for walleyes, well my hat is off to your friend for trying that!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I have busted out some big streamers at night on rivers, generally targeting browns. But I have got quite a few rainbows as well.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The most common form of fly-fishing at night I am familiar with is during the hexagenia hatch in Michigan.

Pretty standard fare up there, match the hatch, listen for the slurps, then cast blind to them.
On many occasions I have done the same thing on the Railroad Ranch section of the Henry's Fork during the brown drakes. For this hatch, the fishing usually starts at dusk anyways. Darkness kind of evens the playing field with those notoriously tough fish. Your senses become really tuned in, trying to fish, yet at the same time knowing that you are in grizzly country.

I have also thrown mouse patterns in darkness for big browns and cutts with good success. Also used to throw poppers and buggers for bass at Broomfield Country club for largemouth when I was kid.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But fly-fishing at night for walleyes, well my hat is off to your friend for trying that!
That was one of the most interesting parts of the story for sure. Catching a decent sized catfish was funny because he thought he had an eye on (obviously there's a huge difference in fighting a walleye and a catfish for those of us who have caught both). He had never caught either. I found out on the way back to the trucks that he had only been fly fishing for trout a few times:eek:

Talk about going out of your comfort zone.....

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I fly fished for walleye twice.. but not at night... both times at Trinidad, both times did well... at night during the spawn wouldn't be too bad... save a mean head wind...

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
I dont know about night but I know a couple of guys (Ray and Bob from the old Colorado Angler flyshop in Lakewood) that do really well at atown from their toons with sink tips and crayfish imitations fishing 15 to 20 feet down for eyes...they always seems to have consistant double digit fish days...

·
Registered
902 Posts
didnt that pretender dude who claimed his ma eye was on a fly rod? that scandal from a foco lake a few month back? the supposed 30in fish? it wasnt at night though i dont think.

dude is hardcore if he decided to fly fish at night and never caught an eye or cat especially only fishing for trout a few times.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Spoke with my buddy today and asked about how the other guy felt about doing it again and he said that's all he's been talking about the last week.

Pretty cool stuff to witness for sure, but I'm still gonna stick to my lure hucking and tube jiggin'. I will admit some of you guys make it look fun though...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts