Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.......someone keep a trophy size fish. I always catch and release but have never seen someone take a trophy home.......this would piss me off. I imagine others would feel the same way. What happened or what did you do?

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I have actually never seen a trophy killed... Yeah i have def. seen some nice fish go to the fryer but nothing I would consider to be a trophy. Luckily!!

I practice selective harvest and if i saw someone taking a trophy i would attempt to educate them if they were willing..... As much as I may like to i would not take any physical action.'

If a person was keeping a trophy and was breaking any regulations doing it.... that would be a diff. story.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
I have actually never seen a trophy killed... Yeah i have def. seen some nice fish go to the fryer but nothing I would consider to be a trophy. Luckily!!

I practice selective harvest and if i saw someone taking a trophy i would attempt to educate them if they were willing..... As much as I may like to i would not take any physical action.'

If a person was keeping a trophy and was breaking any regulations doing it.... that would be a diff. story.
So if there was a reg getting broke and a trophy going home you would bust out the fists of cuffs :smile:

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
So if there was a reg getting broke and a trophy going home you would bust out the fists of cuffs :smile:
Damn straight, I've done it several times when it's done on purpose, not cuffs but more than one has ended up with a ticket and confiscated fish. I keep a good eye on the lakes I fish when I'm around and so do my fishing buddies. How do you think Granby has continued to be mainly catch and release on large fish even though the regs allow otherwise?
Peer pressure, education and the general attitude in the area towards conserving our fishery works wonders.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
.......someone keep a trophy size fish. I always catch and release but have never seen someone take a trophy home.......this would piss me off. I imagine others would feel the same way. What happened or what did you do?
I've seen plenty. In Grand cty we're lucky to have quality fisheries. At Blue mesa it was common to see the trollers kill them and bust em over the head with a crow bar, The Sucker soakers would take stringers of them out. When a big fish get's killed in Grand County it's generally pretty big news and pisses off many.

I fish the Homer Alaska area during the summer and the guides there have taken their toll on the large Halibut and Ling Cod. Things are getting better there as far as catch and release go as the Lings have disappeared from the Charters day trip range but it seems too little too late. The Halibut's average size has gotten smaller and smaller every year as the large ones (100lb-350lb) are taken out and their genes are gone so smaller fish genes take over and the average sport caught in my area is now only 15lbs. Thats why I like long range trips that get me out of the charters daily range into better areas that are fun to explore and haven't been depleted of the larger fish.
We do have awesome King salmon fishing there year round with most of the feeders coming from hatcheries in British colombia.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I hope I dont see anyone kill any trophies. I've had igornant locals ask to eat my fish to which my respect for elders over rode other feelings. They way he tried yanking it out the hole gives me faith for the fish. I had to land it solo after that move before I kicked him in the face...

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
When I was a kid I saw a guy fillet an 18 lb muskie in Minnesota.

Also in Minnesota, saw an old codger load his boat, reach into his live well pull out about a 6 lb pike and toss it onto the ramp, cussing dam pike eat all my walleye as he got into his truck and drove away.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
The Halibut's average size has gotten smaller and smaller every year as the large ones (100lb-350lb) are taken out and their genes are gone so smaller fish genes take over
I have never understood that mentality. A larger fish has more/better genes than a smaller fish? A 75 year old man has more genes than a 25 year old? Apples to oranges. He, the fish,..or the man, has become that old/big because he is wiser and smarter,..until he is caught! Release the old man!!
He has to breed!
The reason there are not bigger fish, is BECAUSE,..they are taking them out. Not because they are removed from the gene pool. The young fry will become bigger, until someone removes them. A case for catch and release and/or slot limits.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I don't know if you guys remember the Northern that Big Kahuna took a pick of a few years ago and released but a few weeks later guy shows me a picture of his cousin with I think the same fish in his kitchen. I asked if he had eaten it and he said he caught it "last" week and hadn't figured out if he was going to mount it or eat it. Hadn't cleaned it out and had it in his fridge till hee found ou tthe price of mounting.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I have never understood that mentality. A larger fish has more/better genes than a smaller fish? A 75 year old man has more genes than a 25 year old? Apples to oranges. He, the fish,..or the man, has become that old/big because he is wiser and smarter,..until he is caught! Release the old man!!
He has to breed!
The reason there are not bigger fish, is BECAUSE,..they are taking them out. Not because they are removed from the gene pool. The young fry will become bigger, until someone removes them. A case for catch and release and/or slot limits.
What they are finding is a spiralling pattern of Older Smaller fish, yes when you remove too many of the Larger fish you will lose more of their genes... With Halibut all the fish over 40lbs or so are Females and the larger 150+lbers carry millions of eggs.
Small people breed and produce small people...Visa versa
If you want to have smaller dogs, breed smaller dogs.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts

Yes,I have seen trophy fish killed. I was guilty of it myself when I hauled this fish into town so I could get the notoriety of breaking the state record. When I weighed it with my scale n the boat it came up at 42 pounds 9 ounces which at the time was 4 pounds larger than the state record, is was 2 inches longer and 3 inches bigger in girth. When i weighed it at gene taylors it came up at 39 pounds 4 ounces which was still about a pound over the record. We called the DOW and they came to the store and said the scale had been certified but it was expired so they told me i needed to find a certified scale. Eventually we ended up a the post office and the fish came up at 38 pounds 2 ounces which was 4 ounces short of the record. After the DOW tested the fish it was determined it was 26 years old, i was pretty mind blown that that fish was 2 years older than i was at the time. The fish stayed in the freezer at Berfields for over 2 years until i came up with the doe for taxidermy. The situation really sucked, i learned alot, and that's when my efforts to advocate catch and release of trophy Lakers began. Along with redleader, we watched dozens of fish get beat over the heads with crowbars, and some folks from Montrose who were sucker soakers would take 8 home every time they showed up. When confronting everybody, the answer was always "The game warden says to get them all out of here"

The next season, i caught this fish which weighed 46 pounds, another state record, but i didn't even think twice about killing and happily released it. It was much more of a pleasant experience all around and If felt much better about the catch.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Well said fordo.

I killed a 6 pound cat out of a local pond back I'm vegas. Still feel shitty about that. I knew the og who fished it everyday probably caught him half dozen times. The cat literally put no fight up.

Now anything big I catch I release the best possible way I can. I'll soak my arm in freezing water for 20 minutes if necessary for the fish to swim away strong. Of course I use proper gear so the fish is never too tired to swim away in the first 30 seconds. I had a 20 pound come zooming in on my bobo pole sight fishing but I consciously couldn't hook him on dink rod. I pulled the bait away last second. T1000 still gives me **** for it but I didn't want to have a dead laker on my conscious because I was too greedy to resist. I've seen a local guy slay them on light line but ended up spending more time petting the fish trying to revive it than it does for me to reel one in. I felt so bad for the fish that he literally fought to death. But what can you say it's like talking to a soaker sucker.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Amazing posts guys! I hope anyone who catches a trophy fish puts them back. I would hope all of us would do something if we saw someone dragging one home...... Catch and release is an important practice and it's our job to teach others..... moreover, We live in a beautiful world and it is our responsibility to keep it that way

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Amazing posts guys! I hope anyone who catches a trophy fish puts them back. I would hope all of us would do something if we saw someone dragging one home...... Catch and release is an important practice and it's our job to teach others..... moreover, We live in a beautiful world and it is our responsibility to keep it that way
as much as i hate seeing big fish kept, what would you like everyone to do? depending on circumstances I may inform someone if they don't know. but i sure as hell don't go preaching to people fishing.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts

Heres one that I almost wacked,
it was mid to late 90's at Blue Mesa.I was in shallow water when I hooked this fish off the islands " we called the area the Bahamas" I was getting hammered by the wind and had a heck of a time holding the boat without getting blown into shore and I could see the fish several times but it seemed like it took forever to finally get her up where I could net her. I weighed her bouncing in the waves and my scale was bouncing between 38-40lbs so I went to shore and weighed her at 37.5 lbs and turned her loose the state record at that time was 38.5 lbs.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts

Heres one that I almost wacked,
it was mid to late 90's at Blue Mesa.I was in shallow water when I hooked this fish off the islands " we called the area the Bahamas" I was getting hammered by the wind and had a heck of a time holding the boat without getting blown into shore and I could see the fish several times but it seemed like it took forever to finally get her up where I could net her. I weighed her bouncing in the waves and my scale was bouncing between 38-40lbs so I went to shore and weighed her at 37.5 lbs and turned her loose the state record at that time was 38.5 lbs.
I remember that season like it was yesterday. First thing i ever said to captian redleader was " What the F$%C man, you got that fancy ass boat with a 250 on the biggest reservoir in the state and you have to fish right F%$ckin here...... Im in 15 feet of water and these fish are over 20 years old. You just spooked em all of here!" Steve said "hey chill out a little man, put some markers up or something if you don't want know one around you" He then started to explain what he had done with his tagging at Granby, his reputation had preceeded him, I had already heard all about Steve and his good buddy Jake Bennet. They were laker guys way before laker guys were cool.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts