Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't fish much last year. I got involved in muzzleloaders, and it kind of took me over. My balance had got so bad that I couldn't really fly fish anymore.

So, i've missed fishing, and I bought a new spinning rod and reel. I told myself the hell with being a purist. I just want to catch fish. Catching fish is more fun than sticking to one method of fishing.

I got my stuff from BPS yesterday. I loaded up the line, and headed for Sands Lake in Salida. It's the only lake I know of that doesn't freeze. I cast out a bubble and Pistol Pete. I always have good luck with that setup. I was really happy with my new rod and reel, but I never got a nibble for an hour of casting.

With my new attitude of fishing whatever works. I had bought some mealworms as backup. I put one on the Pistol Pete. Fish on the first cast. Strikes or fish on the rest of the casts.

I was impressed how well it worked, and I had a lot more fun. A lot more than just casting with no bait. The good part was I was still catching on the lip. So, i had the option of C&R, or keeping them.

So, how many bait fisherman do we have here? Tell me what and how you use it?

W

·
0 Posts
I don't like going fishing without some nightcrawlers, especially in open water. I like to dunk that in some manner while I work another rod with some sort of artificial.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hobiecat said:
Hey Pete....How's the dog?
Buddy's doing great. I take him for a long run everyday in the mountains. He's put on 10lbs of muscle and runs like a Greyhound. We're both happy.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TANGLER said:
From dry fly purist to bait dunker! :D

I've been using bait a lot for ice fishing. Don't be scurred.
Fishing dry flies was fun, and I did learn to cast good, but I think the object is to catch fish. ;D

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Bait is ok, when the bait bite is good. I use bait when I have to, but I'm not a huge fan. So slow, IMO.

The other thing with bait is, depending on the fish you're fishing for, it can be a hassle if you plan to release them. Stupid trout seem to get gut hooked easy on bait, worms in particular. Hard to put a fish back, with it's guts coming through it's mouth.

I know a lot of people that use bait, and do well with it. I don't catch nearly as many fish on it, personally. But when it's working, and the bite's hot, you can't beat it.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fistfullafish said:
You went from flies to a bubble and fly.
Baby Steps... ;D ;D ;D ;D

I was fishing bubble and fly for years before trying fly fishing. I even tied flies for Guy Montera. It was natural for me to go back to it. I'll be trying all kinds of stuff though.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Bait is ok, when the bait bite is good. I use bait when I have to, but I'm not a huge fan. So slow, IMO.

The other thing with bait is, depending on the fish you're fishing for, it can be a hassle if you plan to release them. Stupid trout seem to get gut hooked easy on bait, worms in particular. Hard to put a fish back, with it's guts coming through it's mouth.

I know a lot of people that use bait, and do well with it. I don't catch nearly as many fish on it, personally. But when it's working, and the bite's hot, you can't beat it.
I was worried about that too, because I don't keep many fish. I was happy yesterday to see nothing but catches on the lip. That's pretty much what the Pistol Pete/Montera Marvels have done for me. Just like fishing with a Wooley Bugger.

When I say bait fishing. I don't mean a worm or Power Bait with a bobber like grandma. I'm talking about cast and retrieve with a little bait on the hook as a booster. Spinners, spoons, steamers etc. I like the mealworm, because they're small and are perfect for a single hook trailing some sort of lure. Plus, if bought online. They're pretty cheap and easy to keep.

·
Registered
16,534 Posts
You would not believe the kinds and size of fish I catch with a bobber and worm. A thin bobber like a THILL works best. Ive been doing the piece of worm thing on a fly/bubble for years. It kicks ass-

W

·
0 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
You would not believe the kinds and size of fish I catch with a bobber and worm. A thin bobber like a THILL works best. Ive been doing the piece of worm thing on a fly/bubble for years. It kicks ass-
Amen. At Pueblo or Brush you can catch anything on a worm, and chances are it'll be tasty as well, the fish not the worm.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ever try the gang hooks? Just two hooks, but it seems like it would hold and present a crawler better than one hook.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
im with slayer , i use thill slip floats all the time , as far as bait i like waxies , i use them year round , also like to use minows , leeches and worms

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
TANGLER said:
From dry fly purist to bait dunker! :D

I've been using bait a lot for ice fishing. Don't be scurred.
I remember the purist, only small brookie stream enthusiast ;D My how times change. Ha Pete if you have been having a problem with balance I assume vertigo I'm not sure shooting guns would be advised :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts