Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a given number of hours fishing on a good stream? Would you drive two hours round trip from home to fish for only three hours before going to work later that afternoon? The only fishing I can do on most days is on a schedule like this one and I was wondering if others do the same. At what point would you just say it's not worth the bother?

·
Registered
699 Posts
i never say it isnt worth it i tend to do that all the time and in az i went even so far as to get a job near my favorite hole so i could fish all day and wallk across the street to work at night. i didnt get much sleep that summer lol

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I will do 3 hours for a day trip...but thats about my limit. north and south park are about that distance from my home in longmont, so im kind of stuck with that. for the most part the north park trips are overnighters, but for south park...well for pike or good lake or stream fishing on the Platte ill do it in a day.

for 5 hours of fishing? well ill do the 70 miles to Cheeseman no problem ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
usually 3 hours max for one day, but have traveled 6 hours to fish a lake for one night and returned in the morning.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Im with you guys 3 hours is about max for a 1 dayer but I think if its 2+ days I will drive upto 10 hours. (maybe more but thats as far as Ive gone for a weekend) The farthest I have gone for just fishing, not family visits where I happen to fish too is 18-19 hours to the boundry waters for a week long trip.... with current gas prices it might be cheaper to fly there now.

B

·
0 Posts
I must be gettin' old- most I'll do anymore for a day's fishing is 2 hrs each way MAX. Two hours RT for 3 hrs of fishing doesn't sound outta line.

M

·
0 Posts
Don't feel old cuz that would make me old! If I go to Lake Mac it's usually over 3 days. North Sterling for the weekend (ok so I did one day trip this year there with CaptHook).

One day trip limit for me would probably be Prewitt to the east and Williams Fork to the west.

·
Registered
153 Posts
haha... for me... its always whatever is cheapest... and shorter is cheaper... lol... I dont get out to fish much cause I cant afford to go anywhere else other than Cheeseman Canyon... lol... oh well... I shoudl head up to Elevenmile sometime... I hear its very similar fishing, the fish are just easier to catch...

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I have been known to drive 16 hours round trip to fish for a weekend in Wichita Kansas after trout season opens up there.  Of course I'm fishing for warm water fishies while everyone else is fishing for trout.  O0

Jim

D

·
0 Posts
I've been known to drive 15-16 hours round trip to fish for a day at a favorite water. Of course, that was befor gas hit $2.80 a gallon!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
When I was a student at a university about 1 h north of San Francisco, I thought nothing of driving 2 hours after work to catch the evening hatch on the Little Truckee or the lower Sacramento, fishing for 2 hours, and then driving back.  There were periods where I did this four or five times a week (the caddis hatch on the Sac. has a way of doing that to you).  Of course, gas was only about $1.05 a gallon then, and I had next to no expenses other than rent, food (and I ate a lot of ramen), fishing gear, and gas for my truck.  Day trips at that time were to any location within 5 hours, which, from where I lived, meant I could hit the north coast, the central coast, the Sierras, parts of Nevada, the Hat Creek-Fall River area, and all sorts of warmwater fishing.

Now that I have kids and added work responsibilities, I will still do the 5-h drive for a day trip, but it is a rarer event than before.  Trips before, after, or during working hour are limited to about 30 minutes drive because I need to be able to get back home to help with the kids if called.  Still, I see a time seven or ten years from now where I will once again do the 5-h day trips and the 2-h afternoon fishing sessions, but this time there'll be two youngsters with me to share the blame (and the punishment) when we get home.

:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's why I moved to the mountains. ;D. I figure driving 3 hours to go fishing sucks so I drive 1 1/2 hours to to work and it takes me +/- 1 1/2 hours to get to Spinney or Elevenmile and the 3 ponds in my development are about 5 minutes from my house.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
yep living in the mountain rules 5 min to the lake and uncountable streams and high lakes within an hour

1 - 16 of 16 Posts