Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

What is a fair price to ask for gas money?

• $5.00

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $10.00

• $20.00

• $30.00

• $40.00

• $0.00

• Make them pay all

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With gas prices the way they are what would be a fair price to ask someone else to throw in for gas if I were to take them to say Granby from Parker. Its costs me about $45.00 to fill the truck and about $30.00 to fill the boat.

Thanks

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
LoL, I voted 20$ but was going to ask if you had to fill the boat too. I would say 20-30$.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Poverty sucks Jay. :(

·
Registered
833 Posts
Just make him buy you 4 margaritas at Pancho & Lefty's
and call it even. He'll have to drive your rig home though.

M

·
0 Posts
Jay_In_Parker said:
With gas prices the way they are what would be a fair price to ask someone else to throw in for gas if I were to take them to say Granby from Parker. Its costs me about $45.00 to fill the truck and about $30.00 to fill the boat.
...how much of the gas do you actually use? On a one day outing, I don't end up using that much gas on the boat - at most a 1/4 tank. Same question for the truck (It costs me about $100 to fill the tank on the truck - I don't use the entire tank going up and coming back).

I'd say it would be fair to ask for half of what it costs. I usually don't ask for money though - if friends are sharing, it all works out (one day you drive, one day the other person drives, one day you buy lunch, another day the other person buys lunch, etc., etc.)

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use the entire tank of gas in the truck.(To goto mnt lakes) The boat will last me 2-4 trips.

Thanks for the input.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I say 50/50 isnt a bad deal. And maybe have them make your lunch.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Who voted $5.00. From now on we'll use your truck to pull the boat and ill give you $5.00.

What a nice guy/girl

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
943 Posts
i try to give at least 20.00 and pay for something else like parks pass or coffee or something

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
It costs me about 20 gallons in the truck, and I use about 10 gallons in the boat for the day. Last year it cost me about 60-70 for the day, this year its more like 90-100.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
jay i dont know who your going with friends or strangers but if its friends you really shouldnt have to ask they should just be willing to pitch in. i just have a little boat so it doesnt cost me that much to drive it around, in the winter i have a snowmobile while it doesnt take much more gas to drive places with it in my truck and it doesnt burn that much itself, its still takes some and stupid me have taken people and they havent even offered gas money, needless to say i wont be doing that next year. its getting expensive you deserve at least half of what you spend, cause theres also the cost of wear and tear on your vechicles to consider. good luck touchy subject.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i dont think you can put a dollar amount on it, when i had the big boat back san diego way we would start with full tanks and then fill up at the end of the day and split the bill just like splitting the bill at a resurant.the guys that got invited back would ussually kick in a bit more than there share to help with all the hidden costs.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ask only because when I go with other people I always throw in $ but im not sure if what im throwing is enough or to much.

When I go with friends they always throw down.

What about family members? Is it fair to ask them to throw in $?

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
family members? i wouldnt think of asking your wife for $, brother maybe, father mother , deffinatley not. sister, well who wants to fish with a sister anyhow, seriously i know what you mean i always chip in but some people i think are just naive and need a push.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I didn't check any of the choices because I agree with the 50/50 camp.

Just put it to them right up front, we can take my boat up to Lake X and go fishing if you want to split the gas cost with me. It usually costs me $xxx and that's a little tough for just one person. What do you think?

They can turn you down and decide not to go fishing, but nobody is going to say, "No, I just want to go along and freeload off of you."

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
thats true walking eagle but i have had people say oh i forgot to bring cash with me today or ill give you a check when we get back and conviently forget. guess those people just shouldnt be asked again huh?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
littlemac said:
thats true walking eagle but i have had people say oh i forgot to bring cash with me today or ill give you a check when we get back and conviently forget. guess those people just shouldnt be asked again huh?
Kind of a tough situation. It would definitely put someone on my no-go list, but it still means I am out the expense of the trip. I guess that's the cost of education.

Confucius say, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I think that sometimes it is a bit tougher than just a simple 50/50 formula. For example, when I go with my brother, I understand the financial pressures he is under and I take that into consideration. Even if he hadn't gone fishing with me, I probably would have gone anyway and so the money would have been spent regardless and there is a value to me in being able to fish with my brother and his kids. So I sort of have a "sliding scale", especially when it comes to family members. If time and time again you feel as if you are being taken advantage of, you can always give them that hint and if they don't respond, just lower the frequency of trips or stop them completely.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I know I have the luxury of paying for a pretty nice boat. It costs me 260 per month, plus up keep, gear that I buy always 2 of to share, gas, oil, higher tire wear, a new transmission in the truck, etc, etc. Still, I love being on the water and would spend some of the money with or without someone pitching in for gas. But, I really appreciate when someone helps out with costs, when someone (like Littlemac) buys needed equipment time to time(a replacement net lately), and pays more than his fair share on occasion, it makes a big difference, to the food on the table at months end. I foot the bill when I want to take someone (family, my kids for instance, or other) who can’t afford it. And Kastmisser, I throw in fishing advice for free, sometimes even when its not wanted.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts