Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Great question! I have a crap load of old line i'd like to 'not throw in the trash'.
[me=Jay] [/me]

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SLAYERFISH said:
Thats easy- boil it and eat it! :-\
Doesn't sound too tasty. :-\

coloradojaguar said:
Im pretty sure sports auth. does recyc.
I'll check them out tomorrow!! :)

Weezy said:
Do what most people do - ball it up into a bird's nest and throw it in the water
Well I don't really want to... it annoys me when people do that. Not only do I get stuck in it but wildlife get stuck in it, which is the point why I am asking for the best way to get rid of the line so that I don't annoy myself, others, and harm nature.

longdraw said:
Bass Pro will recycle it for you.
A little far for me, but if no other place I'll save it for when I ever go to Denver.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I'm not sure where you are located.. But Sportsman's Warehouses have recycle bins for used fishing line. At least the one in Colorado Springs does. Outlaw Bait & Tackle has a bin too (located in Colorado Springs). I think some Sports Authorities have them..but not sure if all have them? And Bass Pro in Denver most likely will have one too.

D.J.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
walleye seeker said:
i have taken a 2 liter plastic bottle and stuffed it in till it is full then drop it in a plastic recycle bin. you can also recycle your empty line spools
This. Do what walleye seeker said. Most "line" is nylon, an easily recycled polymer. The bottle just makes it more convenient.

SS

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
If you wanted to you could probably melt it all into a puddle by mixing it with a little acetone. Let the solvent evaporate and you have a hockey puck! ;D

I collect used fishing line whenever I find it, put it into plastic ziplock bags and into the recycle bin. :)

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Excellent info there guys. I always wondering too. I feel bad about throwing it in the trash. I always try to wad it up into a ball and burn it a bit so it doesn't get everywhere.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Rivrunnr1 said:
Excellent info there guys. I always wondering too. I feel bad about throwing it in the trash. I always try to wad it up into a ball and burn it a bit so it doesn't get everywhere.
Same here. One word. Fireplace! ;D

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
albow said:
If you wanted to you could probably melt it all into a puddle by mixing it with a little acetone. Let the solvent evaporate and you have a hockey puck! ;D
Oh my...now that is funny!

D.J.

·
Registered
991 Posts
walleye seeker said:
i have taken a 2 liter plastic bottle and stuffed it in till it is full then drop it in a plastic recycle bin. you can also recycle your empty line spools
This never occurred to me to do - it's brilliant! What a great idea - I'm going to start doing this.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
albow said:
Acetone will dissolve rayon, but not nylon. Best bet, take it to one of the sporting goods stores that has a recycle bin for fishing line. As mentioned previously, Sportsman's Warehouse will take it, and no doubt others as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts