Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone out there fishs for them specifically? I caught a couple of 16" Splake at Antero by accident on Prince nymphs.

Both Carter and Horsetooth are being stocked with decent numbers of Splake and i would love to catch a big one! Especially in the fall when they take on the spawning colors of a brook trout!!!!!! Has anyone caught them on Tube jigs, Jerkbaits, etc? Since they are half laker I would imagine they might fall to simular Laker methods? I would think the next six weeks the water will be cool enough to keep them along rocky shorelines?

L

·
0 Posts
I have targeted Splake with some success at Wolford. My most successful method was to use a Blue Fox Pixee spoon in the spring. My thinking was that the water temp was good for the splakes tolerance zone and the Rainbows were in the spawning cycle. If you've fished Alaska for salmon,  you've for surely used or seen pixee spoons. They are supposed to resemble eggs (roe) with the flash of a lure. I fished my baits fairly shallow in the various coves and small tributary type spots. Like I said I've had limited success but that was the method I caught the most on. Good luck, I would love to hear some other successful methods.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
What is a splake? Is it a hybrid?

A Brooke trout + Lake trout?

Also, Why are Lakers and Brookies called trout when their not trout?

[me=Jay_In_Parker]  [/me]

L

·
0 Posts
You got it. Brook+Mack=SPLAKE. My brother works in the wildlife management field, and he tells me,,,, Splake, being a hybrid, are used in cold water lakes just like tiger musky are in cool water lakes. Keep a lake clean of undesirables. They cannot reproduce because they are hybrids so the DOW can somewhat regulate their numbers. Lake Trout are always the dominant predator in any lake which they exist, even over Pike (imagine that!) so Splake will exhibit the dominance part, but be more tolerant of a little higher water temps like the Brook. So i guess they are a fishery management tool essentially. I guess they can get fairly large. Come to think of it now,,, I need to start fishing for em more too!

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Yeah,

"Sp"eckled trout + "Lake" trout = Splake. Jefferson has a bunch. Standard laker fair like tube jigs work well. Elevenmile has some. Pete had either a Splake or Laker up to the boat last spring at Elevenmile.

T

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know they salvaged a quite few big Splake a couple of years ago at Antero and put them in 11-Mile.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I used to catch a lot of them at Carter Lake in the mid to late 90s (14-20 inches). I caught them downrigging on flashers with a tri-colored needlefish. The magic depth was 30-35 feet along the west shore. I trolled just off the bottom (lost a lot of gear but caught fish). I think they were just off the bottom, because they were feeding on crayfish. Some of them would be bulging with crayfish (10-12 in the stomach). The meet was a bright red/orange like store bought salmon and they had an excellent flavor. Used to be able to limit on them there, but have not caught many recently. I was wondering if they stopped stocking them in there.

·
Registered
381 Posts
This Thread is learning Thread, I have been fishing Carter for a couple of years now since I have moved here from California, and I am more use to deap sea fishing, I have always wondered about the trouts I have been catching in carter, they look different. Now I know what they are now , thanks to this post.. and Yes Carter do have plenty of them.. :D

·
Registered
3,144 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
State record Splake weighed 18lbs! I would think with all the forage available at Horsetooth they could threaten that mark?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Work2Fish,

I know the ones I was catching out of Carter were splake. I have also caught quite a few kokanee out of there over the years. However, the last few years I have not fished Carter much. The few times that I have the fishing was poor compared to how it used to be. I do not fish Carter much any more due to the cost and level of law enforcement there. It seems like every time I go there I get the once over by the rangers. Not really worth it. I focus on Granby more now. Less people, less cost, and great fishing. I have also caught some splake out of Granby.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Just for the record, no I'm not questioning the existence of splake at Carter, just the abundance of them (especially compared to Kokes) and didn't know the experience level of arieldg from California. I've fished Carter a bunch and haven't run across too many of them... So, no worries and sorry if I unknowingly insulted anyone's intelligence...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Work2Fish,

You might try jigging some crayfish colored tube jigs or trolling plugs and spoons just off the bottom to get them in Carter. The best months that I have had for them were in the Summer (July and August). They seem to hang just off the bottom in 30-35 ft. of water. I have fished for them mainly on the west side of the lake (mainly to avoid the crazy water skiers). Along the west shore look for changes in the rock structure, they seem to like the areas with rocky structure (I think they find more crayfish there). Almost all of the fish I catch out of Carter seem to have crayfish in them, except the one cutthroat I caught that had 5 cigarette butts in it's stomach. The best place for splake I found was out infront of the largest bay/cove about 2/3 of the way down the west shore (heading from the north to south). If you fish Carter enough you know where that is. There is a little hump out infornt of it that the splake seem to hang around.

·
Registered
381 Posts
No worries work2fish, fishing in this fresh waters is a learning process, my experience level in this part of the waters is not high, but I can pretty much identify what a regular rainbow trout is. I am learning this Reservoirs and learning the fish in them, I may not catch the big one, but I will someday..

·
Registered
230 Posts
walley970, i am the one that snagged that splake when i was after kokes...
it was huge. i didnt know that it was that close to a record. it seemed to be fine when i released it. the snag was closer to the tail. i about threw a friend in the water that was trying to resnag it. i pulled out my knife and was ready to cut his line. i thought that was more like 3 or 4 years ago. maby even another did the same... Jigs

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I know of a lake on the mesa (not island) where they sometimes are caught around 10 pounds and 2-5 pound fish (the ones I catch) are common. Countdowns seemed to work well in early june (ice off) throwing them from the shore. Later in the year splake get deeper. A guy on WSA claimed he caught an 18 pound splake this year at island though, fishing in I think he said 75 FOW. Island has some huge splake in it still, they just stopped stocking it after 1990. They began again though, in the early 2000's. We caught several small splake this year icefishing there. Same techniques for brookies. Splake have an outstanding growth rate and with all of the available forage in island (read, suckers) they will shine once again. Splake really aren't that good at controlling suckers, but they help a bit. They also give anglers another opportunity. Tiger musky would be much more effective IMO on some of the sucker infested lakes on the mesa.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts