Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been keeping some cats to deepfry I have a couple questions about cleaning them ....I get the skin off but there is some white stuff undernieth that isnt coming off ...is that also supposed to come off .......Im starting from the tail and cutting up what do you do when you hit the ribs...ive been getting good fillets but I feel like I might be waisting fish.....

·
Registered
943 Posts
any fillet from a catfish is a good fillet ;D yummmm

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've seen people nail them to boards, skin them and cut the meat off but theres probably a more efficent way.

·
Registered
636 Posts
it sounds like you're doing it right. I start from the tail and work up to the ribs. It just takes some time, patience, and practice. there is always going to be some meat wasted when filleting. Make sure you get a good pair of skinning pliers too.

·
Registered
943 Posts
yeah i prefer a decent size pair of needlenose

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
There is a microscopically thin inner layer under the skin that is white or sometimes silvery in color, just leave it there, it doesn't hurt a thing and doesn't affect the taste. Consider it part of the fish.

Another way to fillet a cat (or any fish for that matter) is to lay it on its side, make a deep cut just behind the head, then turn the blade sideways and cut all the way down to the tail, just bumping over the vertebrae as close as possible. You cut right through the rib bones when you do this, but you have a very sharp knife, right? Then when the filet comes loose, you flip it over, slip the knife under the rib bones to free them up, and there you have your boneless fillet. You skin it before doing all this, of course.

If the cats are small, just skin and gut them, take the head and fins off, and fry them up whole. The skeletal bones are large and coarse, and easy to avoid while eating, and cats have no tiny bones in the flesh like some other species do. To get rid of the dorsal fin, make a cut along each side of the fin and then pull it out with a pair of pliers. The bony roots will come out with it.

W. E.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I've used a electric knife. Start behind the gills, go down to the spine, then angle blade, then go towards the tail. Stop before cutting off tail. Flip fillet with skin down on board, angle blade down towards skin and go forward. Skin is tough enough that I've always had a clean fillet.

As far as the ribs, use fillet knife, and cut them out going under neath the bones.

this means has been the least way of wasting any of the tasty meat ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Electric knife!!!!!! Sheesh!! What decadence!! I just don't know what this world is coming to.

W. E.

P. S. Gotta get me one of those. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you catch some bigger cats 5+lbs. I would reccomend chopping offf the cats tail and hanging it to bleed it first. This can get rid of that fishy taste you sometimes get. Also I trim any brown meat out of the filet for the same reason.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
after skinning the cat i carve out the flesh that is above the ribs by slipping the knife down the spine and following the ribs to get that chunk of meat behind the head and then just run the knife down towards the tail to fimish the fillet then i chop off the head tail and fins and remove the guts and air sac then i freeze the carcass when i get several then i throw them in a pot of water and biol all the meat off and make some sort of fish stew like a chowder or just boil down some fish stock to save for later dishes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts